Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #1 
GemmaBetta

Question New Betta Owner?

I recently purchased a gorgeous Veil~Tail Betta along with a 10 gallon tank, a few plants, and a cave or two. After letting Gem settle into his home, I decided to try introducing a few tank-mates! I adopted 5 black skirt tetras (which do not nip at Gems fins, thankfully) and a ghost shrimp or two since they only had two in stock. Anyways, I'm fairly new at Betta Care, and would like to know if I am properly taking care of him. His 10 gallon tank is cycled, kept at a constant 76 degrees Fahrenheit, and has a phenomenal filter. He and his tankmates coexist peacefully, with plenty of room and hiding spaces. I really have fallen in love with my fish, and want him to be as happy as possible! Tips? Advice? Feedback?

P.S Gem is the little spot of blue behind one of the plants:) I just added the huge broken jug cave so you can see the tetras exploring. The ghost shrimp is inside the smaller cave.
Attached Images

GemmaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #2 
GemmaBetta

Aaaand here's a better pic of the tank without the jug and with just the betta from a while ago.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #3 
NorthernLights

Wow, what a beautiful fish! Gem looks amazingly similar to my Odysseus! Congrats on a such a lovely new finned friend!

76 degrees is a bit cool for a betta. Do you have a pre-set heater or an adjustable one? If it's adjustable, you might want to turn it up slightly so that your tank is in the 78-80 degree range.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #4 
ryancalif

Looks good! I assume you're using water conditioner? If not, you need to be if you're using tap water.

Other than that, looks like you have a good home for them. :)
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #5 
waterdog

Yes bump up the temp a little as suggested.

My only concern is you didn't say how long you had the tank set up before adding all these other fish. If the tank had not cycled yet, be prepared, your going to get huge ammonia spikes with that many fish so early. Test daily. Be prepared for water changes.

Also, I see Tetra foods beside the tank. Dump them if your feeding that to your betta and get some omega one or new life spectrum pellets.

Lastly I would add some real plants quickly to help cycle and control algae.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #6 
mushumouse

it looks like you have all the basic stuff down! the only feedback i'd have is that with other fish and shrimp in it, it does look a little bare to me wrt cover... i don't know what your budget situation is but it could probably use another plant or two (silk or real) or some holey wood or something in the middle to break things up a little bit for your betta and the things that might need to hide from him. there's a thread stickied at the very top of the habitats/accessories forum where a lot of members post their tanks, i love looking at it to see how other people have set things up & get ideas, if you're interested. the other thing is that the thermometer you have looks like the kind that sticks on the glass outside the tank- those are unfortunately not as accurate as they could be, it might be better to get one of those floating glass thermometers on a suction cup they sell at petco/petsmart to put on the inside of your tank. it's up to you, but they don't cost more than 2-3 dollars and it does give me some peace of mind. glad to hear everything is working out ok!
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #7 
DefStatic

The OP says the tank is cycled, I just do not see any mention of how long and how.

I am curious though, what do people use to feed their fish when they have say a school of Testras and a Betta?
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #8 
GemmaBetta

Thanks everyone! I let the tank appropriately cycle fully before adding any of the fish and the food you see is not in its original container. The food for the Tetras and shrimp came in really large containers, that are used to fill little dispensers. Those were just the containers I had. The jug is quite large (even though it looks small in the pictures) and the tetras like to hide in there often, and gem just leaves them alone. DefStatic, the type of shrimp I have will eat any variety of food. The betta eats pellets, and the tetras eat special food. I make sure too feed the little roommates one at a time though! I do use water conditioner, and I have turned the heater up to a nice 79 degrees!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #9 
GemmaBetta

And I do have another thermometer for the water (that is hidden in the pictures) as well as the outside one.