Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #1 
karbear625

I'm proud of my Petco!

I thought I would share my wonderful experiences I have had at my local Petco, it's probably enough to get you all clapping haha.

The first time I went there to get my first fish tank a month or two ago I was so skeptical after being on this forum and hearing all of the sad stories. I was preparing for the worst, but I was in shock when I walked out with how great it was. I looked at the bettas and they all had fresh, clean water with not a hint of feces in it and the fish were all pretty happy in the small cups. The rest of the fish section was amazing, clean tanks, healthy fish, and a knowledgeable man! He knew exactly what to get to keep my tank happy and taught me everything that I had already read on this forum. (which gets pretty advanced)
Every time I have went back to grab other supplies for my dog and cats I stop by the bettas and they are still looking great and have amazing cups.
Today I went back to find some new fish and there was a woman who was clearly a fish fanatic. I was unclear about what I should get for fish since Ranger is territorial. She showed me everything and explained what the stocking level would be and how to pick a really healthy fish. She gave me a lot of pointers and I actually learned quite a bit. Best of all she didn't try to sell me fish who would grow 5 feet long. I had pointed out a red eye tetra who was swimming back flips every 5 seconds and I knew wouldn't make it. She said she would euthanize fish who she couldn't treat with medicine the HUMANE way. I love this store so much because of how they treat the animals, especially the fish.

Our Petsmart on the other hand is a completely different story! They have teenagers who file their nails in the fish section and know NOTHING about how to stock or cycle a tank. (she tried to sell me a bunch of platys that I knew wouldn't fit in my tank) I asked another person about betta pellets and he tried to sell me goldfish food. The bettas have DISGUSTING cups that have poop and anything else you can imagine in them. The fish are too lethargic and barely have any fins. And worst of all, they had dead mollies around the tanks who had jumped out and nobody noticed.

The point of this story is... I love my Petco. They are amazing.
karbear625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #2 
Raincloud

I am glad you had such a good experience! I always went to Petsmart because it was closer and we used to take our dog to Banfield but I have been very disappointed with the Betta selection there.(maybe I always go at a bad time?) I will definitely check out our local Petco.
Raincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

That's cool. Mine is pretty horrible
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #4 
karbear625

That stinks. :P I thought ours would be bad, but I guess they just have a nice batch of people working there! Next time I will take pictures for you all to see what a good Petco should look like.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #5 
ZubinBetta

This is an important part of the account of how bettas are treated at places of fish commodification/mercantilism. I wish there were a way to compile and combine your account with those so prevalent here about how fishes are abused or neglected. If one PetCo could "talk" to another, perhaps it might be possible for them to implement national/international standards and retrain employees. If only folks from your PetCo could give tips to some of these other PetCos where things are really bad, they might be able to make a difference, and I'm certain the folks at your PetCo would be pained (to say the least) to know what goes on at your PetSmart (Of course they know.) and at these other PetCos of which we have seen first-hand accounts (we believe) in this forum. Of course, a first-hand account cannot be borrowed, and stores that mistreat animals know this, and it protects them.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #6 
karbear625

I feel like employers at these places should only hire people who are truly passionate and have information that can help consumers be happy and keep their fish happy too. The difference between the two stores within 5 miles of each other oppaled me. I will never be shopping at that PetSmart when it comes to fish because I would rather give support to the chain that actually cares about them.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #7 
Blue Fish

It seems to be a draw between petsmart and petco, just depending on the individual store. My petco is a bit better...but not by a lot. :( There is a woman there (at petco) who works occasionally who is very knowledgeable (very similiar to what you experienced), and she's great, never seen anyone nearly as educated at my petsmart.
But I've seen just the opposite as well in other places. :) I'm so glad you have a good store though!! :D
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #8 
Raincloud

I went to petco for the first time today. (I actually went to two XD ) I just went to pick up a 10 gallon tank and didn't look around too much but was pleasantly surprised overall. (Honestly at one Petsmart sometimes it's great and sometimes it's horrible depending on when you go) There are 3 Petco's and 2 Petsmart's near me, sprinkled with a couple smaller pet stores I still can't decide which one I prefer.
Raincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #9 
bannlow2471

Wow, that's great! I have to say - my Petco does have a few employees there who are knowledgeable, caring, and professional. Unfortunately, they are few and far between. I almost never go to the Petsmart in my town, but I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised when I was there over the weekend. The girl they had working the aquatics section seemed very knowledgeable about Bettas and the little female crowntail I bought, she had told me that she was so glad I was getting her because she was her favorite, and she had taken her out of the blue water they use and put her in regular conditioned water because with the blue water no one could see how pretty she was. Which, by the way - what is with that blue water? Is there medicine or something in there?
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #10 
Lonely Dragon

The Petco by me has always been pretty decent, but honestly I prefer Petsmart. The bettas at Petco are in clean containers but are always very listless...
At Petsmart though they've upgraded the cups to about twice the size they used to be. No more blue water either. Although one of the employees was trying to convince me to get a moss ball because "regular plants produce ammonia"...
They still seem to be the better of the 2 around here.
Lonely Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote