Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #11 
Tikibirds

It's possible. Did you overfeed him lately?
Try fasting him for a day and keep an eye out for poop. Is it white stringly or is it a brown cinnamon bun looking thing. You can also try 1 teaspoon per gallon of PLAIN EPSOM SALT. This can be used long term if need be as its not as harsh on the internal organs as aquarium salt.

can he still swim around or is it more like he is just being pushed around by a current? Im not sure how to explain what I am trying to ask any better...

also - chec out this thread and the video in it
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=118600

If it is SBD, he will basically look like he has no equilibrium and will swim every which way - sideways, backwards, upside down. it's usually not fatal but they do look pretty pathetic
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #12 
Sweetstrwbrry

He had not pooped at all today and my boyfriend who cleaned the tank last night said there was none either. Should I put him in the one gallon bowl to make it shallower? It also makes it easier to put a light next to him which will warm the water. This is the only option I have right now
Sweetstrwbrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #13 
puplove52

He probably had swim bladder. My betta had it before. The treatment is either don't feed him for a whole day (cause you probably over fed him) or give him one pea. It works as a laxative.
puplove52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #14 
Tikibirds

The pea treatment is contraversial. It's more for goldfish, or other vegatarian fish. I don't think a betta would willingly eat a pea.

Quote:
Swim Bladder Disease (SBD)/Bloat
•Symptoms: Betta has trouble swimming, maybe he can’t stay upright and can only swim on his side.
•Treatment: This is not a contagious or fatal illness. If it isn’t congenital (aka a condition that he/she has had since birth), then it is caused by over feeding or feeding the wrong foods. Bettas will typically recover after a day or two of Epsom Salt treatments (1-2tsp/gal) and fasting. You can help prevent a reoccurrence by switching to a better pellet food, feeding less and offering a more varied diet. To make it easier for the betta to eat and breath, you can make the water shallower. You can offer him/her frozen daphnia (sold at Petsmart) as daphnia will help him/her pass stool. DO NOT FEED THEM PEAS.
If you go into the disease and emergency forum, there are 2 stickies at the top and they give suggestions on how to treat various illnesses.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #15 
Sweetstrwbrry

He is also breathing really fast, why is he doing this? The gill flaps are moving very quickly. I have put a love plant in there to help him perch near the surface. He is still moving around but is breathing hard
Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #16 
ANHEL123

looks like sbd but heavy breathing and darting confusing to me. Darting and heavy breathing can be due to the gill flukes. You can still keep him in 2 gall tank and do the treatment . Fast him and see if he is better but is he will continue to dart and looks like he is gasping for air i would think he has flukes .
I would have Epsom salt and Aquarium salt on hands in case you need it. Is there any way you can maintain and raise the temperature later if you need to in 2 gall tank? If he will still have heavy breathing i would try to raise to raise the temp gradually about 1-2* an hour to 84* which speed up parasites life cycle and help them to fall faster. And in this situation you need to use aq salt though.
And i don't know how everyone else think but i would try to do 50% water changes now and see if it helps. If you will do water changes make sure new water approximately same temperature as his water.
Just read your thread again, sorry i missed that you are you using aquarium salt? How long and how much?

Last edited by ANHEL123; 04-13-2013 at 10:20 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #17 
Tikibirds

From what I have found online in the past few minutes, gill flukes can cause "whirling" in fish although most of what I found were for wild salmon.

I would try Pming Sakura8, she knows all.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #18 
Sweetstrwbrry

Ok he is not darting, it only happened when I tapped the tank. Otherwise he is free floating and has not darted since. I mean he can still be active when he wants to. I put him in the bowl now and put 1 tsp on aquarium salt. In the bowl the plant is tall enough where he can perch on it for the surface. In the 2 gallon it is very tall and hard for him to swim up that high.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

well i kind of confused. I found your previous thread and i think you been treating him with aq salt already. You can not treat him longer than 14 days. How long you treating him with aq salt? And is he still have heavy breathing and comes to the top frequently? Because bettas do come to the top to breath air and it normal. Sometimes it looks like they open their mouth for air . It fine too. But if he does it frequently it not normal.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #20 
Sweetstrwbrry

I posted yesterday about the fins, I have treated him for 2 days. About 3 weeks ago I posted about his fins (I think you replied to that one) I only treated him for about 2 days ago and the fins were all better (they unraveled). He has heavy breathing and still comes to the top the same