Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #41 
VJM

House? You have a piece of decoration in there? What is it? Some of them are quite toxic (event though they are sold for aquarium use).

Since your other fish are not effected, it is probably not that, but it's better to make sure you eliminate any possibilities.

Don't forget to quarantine for a few weeks! And, of course, we all want to see pictures of your beautiful boy!
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #42 
sunlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetstrwbrry View Post
Maybe, but I wonder what disease he had? The neon tetra, one of my Cory's, and betta appeared to have suffered from this. They all died within hours of the symptoms. First the tetra, then cory, then betta (took him about a day after symptoms) I just changed the filter pad the other day they died and betta was taken out right away into his hospital tank so hopefully nothing was left. All other fish are 100% fine. Neon separated from the school to hide in the house last night but he appears to be active and schooling again. My other cory Pepper is such a trooper. Orion used to harass him in a smaller tank to the point where he would hide on top of the water in a plant even though he's a bottom dweller. And he made it through whatever killed half my tank. Love that little guy. Orion was in a betta bowl for almost 2 months before the 10 gallon. I wonder if that affected him or diseased him in some way. I hope all goes well from here on out! I will be doing a 25% water change instead of 50 and maybe that will prevent this from happening again.
The fact that he was in a betta bowl that probably about one gall could absolutely not affect his health. I have 3 one gall bowls with bettas that lives there for more than 2.5 years. And i do 50% and 100% water changes. So not betta bowl and definitely 50% that kill your betta. And like you say that he lived in that bowl for almost 2 month and was healthy telling that nothing wrong with that. I have all my bettas in uncycled tanks . So i think it not that was the problem. Btw my betta didn't live long in my cycled tank for some reason , probably i didn't know all steps that i have to follow to take care of the cycled tank. fI am not experienced with that.So i think it what happened to you. You can successfully keep your betta in 2 gall uncycled tank with 50% and 100% water changes and he would live long life. If you going to put betta in that 10 gall tank you can cycle it with fish in there. But i think 25% water changes not quite enough especially that oyu will have more than one fish in there.
Every one posting that link from Oldfishlady so i am going to post it for you. You might already have it. One link for fish in cycling and another one about water changes.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
I even think it better idea for you to keep him in 2 gall with regular water changes
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #43 
Sweetstrwbrry

My decoration is quite small. Orion would go in there from to me to time. I wonder if that contributed to some of his fin problem (though prob not because they had black edges). It's a small coral reef and really the only thing that could fit in there is 1 tetra and maybe a cory.

Here is my beautiful new baby :) I will miss Orion. He is in the freezer right now but will be burying him by the lake close to my house on Tuesday. I just couldn't bear to flush him. Here is the new baby boy... Haven't named him yet.
Attached Images

Sweetstrwbrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #44 
Sweetstrwbrry

Here's another pic of the little guy, what a cutie!
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #45 
VJM

He is beautiful!!! I have a boy that looks just like him, but his tail is growing back. Hope it looks that amazing when it is fully recovered.

I would remove that decoration, but I am really hyper about anything that can hurt their fins.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #46 
Sweetstrwbrry

This betta doesn't appear to be interested in the house, he really doesn't go anywhere near it. Orion used to sit on it, go in it, lay on it, everything! I have yet to see this with the new betta. Hopefully it stays that way.

I also have a plant from Orion's tank... Should I just toss it in case he had a disease or is there a way to clean it?
Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #47 
bannlow2471

So sorry about Orion and your other fish! Very sad! Your new boy is gorgeous, though.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #48 
ANHEL123

Did you disinfect the tank and decorations after Orion just in case if he was sick? I know we think he and your other fish died from ammonia spike but now you saying that he was sitting and laying in that house all the time, and had fin issues before i think he might had also some kind of infection I would disinfect everything and do large water change in that tank he was in , or do large water change at least. I know people recommending to quarantine live plants every time you buy new one. You can quarantine it in the water with no water conditioner for a few weeks. But i am not sure if it will kill bacteria. I know it will kill any parasites if it carry ones, since they die without host but not sure about bacteria.
And i also want to say that i agree on sunlight comments , check out those links about water changes from Oldfishlady. It also instructions on filter media cleaning in those links. I think it very helpful information...
Your new guy is so gorgeous. Sorry about Orion:(
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote