Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #1 
cowboy

substrate

Hi,

I currently have a betta in a small bowl (but not to small) I brought some rocks home from the lake, did the vinegar test and boiled them for an hour. I took the water to the pet store and they spiked the ph level.

I bought polished river rocks from the pet store. Would these cause the ph level to change? I really like the natural look.

Failing that I cannot find the colour of marbles I like in the pet stores. Can marbles from craft stores safely be used?

Thanks!
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #2 
Blue Fish

Yes, the polished craft store rocks are fine (just wash them first), same with marbles. :)

I've used both with no problems. :)

If you really want gravel, you can sometimes find the natural colored gravel at stores as well, and if not, it can be ordered. :) In a couple of my tanks I've got a mixture of the natural colored gravel and the polished craft store rocks and I feel it does achieve the "natural look" you're going for. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #3 
cowboy

Great, thanks for the reassurance. He was a little threatened by the new rocks but seems ok now. Fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
Yes, the polished craft store rocks are fine (just wash them first), same with marbles. :)

I've used both with no problems. :)

If you really want gravel, you can sometimes find the natural colored gravel at stores as well, and if not, it can be ordered. :) In a couple of my tanks I've got a mixture of the natural colored gravel and the polished craft store rocks and I feel it does achieve the "natural look" you're going for. :)
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote