Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #11 
Tikibirds

Maybe one ramshorn snail would be OK in a 1G? They stay pretty small. just dont get more then 1 as they breed like rabbits
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #12 
Artemis

I agree that that is drastic. You could keep your betta with an apple snail for a few weeks-months in a 2.5 but param readings would get high fast and considering that (on rare occasion if the snail lives long enough) apples can get to the size of baseballs, a 5 or even 10 gal would be in your future. A nerite would do very well in a 2.5 gal as they stay small.

Ramshorns are asexual, a single one can reproduce at will. They are bred by at home aquarists for feeders for puffers sometimes as they are very easy to propagate. You would quickly have a lot of snails and a lot of bioload.

Last edited by Artemis; 04-13-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #13 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

A betta will survive in 1g, but would certainly do better in a larger tank. As long as your one gallon is heated and gets two 50% and one 100% water change a week he will be fine.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #14 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Okay, a one gallon bowl is two small for both. But it is not too small for one betta.
1 gallon tanks are contraversial. Alot of people are dead set aganist them and alot of people have them. In my opinion, they are OK provided enough water changes are being done to keep the ammonia level down. I, personally like them to have at least 2.5ish gallons each or more. I like to decorate the tanks and you can't really do that with a 1 gallon. If I could give all my guys 5 gallons each, I would but since I have 11 males - that's not gonna happen. Most are in 10 gallon tanks that are divided 3 ways with heater and filter. sone are in 2-3 gallon unfiltered Kritter Keepers and the ladies are in a 20G tank with live plants.

Only sluggles gets his very own 5 gallon tank and one nerite snail. He has been through alot so I feel he deserves his own 5G tank (basically he was a rescue from walmart in Alaska in very poor shape, drove him out of alaska to NY and he almost froze to death in the yukon (most of the others did) and now he is thriving). These pics tell his story for the most part (minus the alaska--canada---NY journey).
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5322860&type=1
Old 04-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #15 
puplove52

he gets 100% water change weekly.
puplove52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #16 
Artemis

I see no harm in 1 gal for a betta as long as water changes are given, gravel rinsed, heater, etc.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #17 
Tikibirds

They dont clone themselves - you still need 2 for them to mate.
Quote:
Pulmonate snails, including ramshorns, are hermaphroditic, meaning that each individual functions as both female and male, and a pair of mating snails typically fertilize each other, with both individuals laying eggs afterward. Pulmonate snails typically lay gelatinous masses of eggs underwater on the surfaces of plants or rocks.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #18 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Apples are not hermaphrodic- you need a male and a female.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #19 
Laurenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
A betta will survive in 1g, but would certainly do better in a larger tank. As long as your one gallon is heated and gets two 50% and one 100% water change a week he will be fine.
I agree with this, but *safely* heating a 1g bowl is pretty tricky. Finding appropriate heaters for my two 2.5g filtered tanks was hard enough, and I'm still extra careful about monitoring the glass thermometers in both of them. Just like with cycling/maintaining water quality, heating a tank gets easier once you have at least 5+ gallons. They do sell "mini" heaters--usually specifically marketed towards bettas--like the Marina one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=12315584 or Hydor: http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-7-5w-Hea...pr_product_top but the problem is that they're all pre-set as opposed to having an adjustable thermostat. Typically they're *supposed* to work by raising the water temperature 5-10* above ambient room temp. I really don't know how the heater is even able to know what the room temperature is once its submersed underwater in the tank/bowl, plugged in and producing heat, and considering how frequently they've been reported to overheat the water and kill the resident fish, I suspect that they probably can't. Problems with overheating also seem to get more common the smaller the volume of water is, which makes sense of course. I also noticed that for the second heater I linked above, it actually says on the packaging that its for "2-5 gallons", although everywhere else it just says something to the effect of "up to 5 gallons". I know that they've been used by plenty of people without any major issues, but having an accurate water thermometer (and actually being sure to monitor it) should be an absolute necessity with any of these types of heaters.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #20 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Yes you do at that. Mae and female and they are hard not impossible to sex.
If you are dead set on getting a snail then get a Ramshorns, they are small easy to care for. 1 gal is okay but you should do more smaller water changes during the week. Snails make a lot of waste! Apple snails can not be in a 1 gal. They can get very large! And will hardly be able to move. They would make so much waste a water change everyday would be needed! You should have a heater in you tank because bettas are tropical and need warm water, as do many kinds of snails.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote