Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #1 
Rilly10

Starting over with my Evolve 4

Sadly I lost my little Betta who was living in my Evolve 4 for the past few days He arrived Weds VERY stressed, over heated, and then I had an ammonia spike (now undercontrol). So now I face the dilemma with what to do with the tank. I was mid cycle when he passed and now not sure what to do?

Should I clean it well and do a 100% water change (but leave all the decorations/gravel/filter media) and get another Betta? Should I tear it all down and restart it as a NPT and hope for an easier and hopefully silent cycle? Or should I continue as is and finish the cycle with no fish adding fish food as needed if the ammonia drops before Nitrates are fully established?

Also, if I do opt to redo it all as a NPT I have Salvinia, a Java Fern, a Marimo Ball, and an Anubias in there...what other plants should I add if I want to do low tech/low light and no CO2 set up with the stock light?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just super bummed and don't know where to go from here. I don't want to make any rash decisions and I really am hoping to do it right so I don't loose another fish.
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #2 
JellOh

If you do end up getting another fish finish the cycle. It seems like a lot of betta keepers don't cycle their tank because of the size or they impulse buy fish (a big no-no in JellOh's book). Make sure you read up on a fishless cycle and get a good liquid water testing kit. I'd be better if you used bottled ammonia (unless its illegal where you live, as its used in making meth) rather than fish flakes. The bottled ammonia gives you much more control over the cycle, and you'll know that your tank can defiantly handle the stress of a betta. Don't clean the gravel, I wouldn't clean the plants, and don't clean the filter material. You'll kill off all the good bacteria you managed to get with your old beta.

If you go with a planted tank I suggest-
Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus
Windelov Java Fern, Windelov Fern - Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
Narrow Leaf Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus v. 'narrow leaf'
Java Moss - Vesicularia dubyana
Green Hygro - Hygrophila polysperma
Sunset Hygro - Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Ceylon Hygro - Hygrophila polysperma 'Ceylon'
Rotala Rotundifolia - Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala Rotundifolia sp. Green - Rotala rotundifolia sp. 'Green'
Rotala Indica - Rotala indica
Hornwort - Ceratophylum demersum
Parrots Feather - Myriophyllum aquaticum
Moneywort, Water Hyssop - Bocapa monnieri
Brazilian Pennywort, Pennywort - Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Crypt Wendtii - Cryptocoryne wendtii
Crypt Balansae - Cryptocoryne Balansae
Pygmy Crypt - Cryptocoryne pygmaea
Guppy Grass - Najas guadalupensis
Anubias barteri - Anubias barteri v. barteri
Anubias barteri 'marble' - Anubias barteri 'marble'
Anubias barteri v. 'glabra' - Anubias barteri v. 'glabra'
Anubias nana - Anubias barteri v. 'nana'
Coffee leaf anubias - Anubias barteri v. 'coffeefolia'
Crypt retrospiralis - Cryptocoryne retrospiralis
Crypt spiralis - Cryptocoryne spiralis
Golden nana - Anubias barteri v. 'nana golden'
Narrow leaf nana - Anubias barteri v. 'nana narrow leaf'
Petite nana - Anubias barteri v. nana 'petite'
Philippine Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus 'Philippine'
Red Java fern - Microsorum pteropus "red"
Crypt Becketii - Cryptcoryne becketii
Pelia - Monosolenium tenerum
Waterwheel Plant - Aldrovanda vesiculosa
Bacopa - Bacopa caroliniana
African Water Fern - Bolbitis heudelotii
Hornwort - Ceratophyllum submersum
Crypt Aponogetifolia - Cryptocoryne aponogetifolia
Micro Crypt - Cryptocoryne petchii
Tropica Sword - Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica'
Downoi - Pogostemon helferi
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #3 
Rilly10

Thank you! I think I am going to tear it down and do a NPT. Hope fully since my tap water has ammonia in it this will be the best option. I am going to head to Lowes this AM for some organic potting soil and play sand. I have a few plants already so will not clean those or the filter media. I just ordered a few more plants also so hoping this will go better.

Also I am sure this is a debated topic, but where should I get my next fish? I am not sure which is better... a pet store where they are in terrible condition, or a breeder where they have to be shipped? My other Betta was lost in the mail and other than being pale on arrival is awesome, but this guy and the freebie who came with him were in terrible shape (we had a weird heat streak while they were in transit). But at the same time I almost see the pet store as a fish mill and also am nervous and don't want to support them with a sale :/
Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #4 
JellOh

Honestly, it depends on you. A lot of people on here do get their fish from big chain stores. If you can get a new betta shipped in, I would do that. If you can't, try and find a smaller, local fish store that keeps their bettas in actual tanks.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #5 
Rilly10

The only smaller store has nicer ones than Petco/Petsmart but keeps them in the tiny frilltopped glass bowls. They did have a very pretty pastel big eared one last week, but the manager was very honest that some of them do come in looking iffy. I would hate to loose another $40+ if another shipped one comes in bad shape, but I may go that route again and make sure to keep a better eye on the temps this time.

Today I will be going to Lowes to get Organic Potting Soil & pool filter sand. Then check out the plants at a further pet store to see if they have any better looking ones than the local 3 I have been too. I also ordered a few more plants online so think I will try to get the tank all set up and ready then MAYBE look at fish next week. That way I can watch the levels and see if the plants are doing well first. I am HOPING if I get way more plants and do the NPT way it will be easier on the next fish. Also hoping for better weather shipping wise of course. I think I will also ONLY order from someone who will ship next day and not priority.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #6 
Otterfun

Depends on hoe the betta died. If it is not from diseases, then you continue w/a fish less cycle which happened to me when Fred died. I ended up putting in 2 Amano and a GMS to finish the cycle in my planted tank.

I got my betas from Petco and PetSmart between Feb and Mar.: babies, male, and female. All healthy except Curious Grace which had dropsy and slime coat infection in the beginning but is now cured. But I did pick the healthier looking ones though.

For NPT, make sure you follow the instructions on soil and plant selection, especially with stem plants, or else it will crash.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #7 
Rilly10

So far I have floating plants, moss balls, anubias, java ferns, bannana plants and a crypt either here already or on the way. I don't believe any of them are "stem" plants though....I am going to a petstore today to look for a few more plants what are a few good stems for low teck/lowlight. Also, will this all work with no CO2?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #8 
Rilly10

Oh one more question too....would I be better off trying to cycle with a trumpet snail? Then getting a Betta after the cycle? Or are snails even more sensitive?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #9 
Otterfun

From hindsight, I would not have gotten a snail since I am having a sorority now. If it is a male, even a snail takes a toll on bio load and cleaning up after it. I'd have gotten male betta + 2-4 Amano if I were to have a 4g.

Stem plants, get some short Amazon sword, hydrophilia if they have it. The hydrophilic grows pretty fast and will take over the tank in 1-2months, replant by cutting. Not much stem plants in my Petco and PetSmart. But Yopfin is really snail free and healthy plants . HTH.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #10 
Rilly10

Oh ok! I thought with the NPT you needed a trumpet snail to aerate?