Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #11 
Rilly10

Well there was a VERY small selection at the store I went to! I came home with a Green Ozelot Sword and a Red Rubin Sword...hope my light is ok for it. I didn;t realize that they needed moderate to high light until I got home and googled them :/
Well hope they do ok! I am gonna go get the Organic potting soil and sand tomorrow. Didn't quite get to it today!
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #12 
Otterfun

You can aerate by poking the soil with a stick.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #13 
Rilly10

Ok thanks! So once it is all set up would you recommend a fishless cycle? Then only one fish in the tank with no snails or shrimp or anything else once cycled?
Old 04-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #14 
Otterfun

Fish less is supposed to be easier and better, never done it so cannot tell you much. I think it is less stressful to have a fish less Cycle from what I read. My beta ignore the Amani because it is longer than them. The RCS are out and about without any harassment by the girls over here.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #15 
Rilly10

Ok thank you! Looks like I have more reading to do! ;)
Old 04-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #16 
Otterfun

The LED that came with Evolve might not be strong enough. You can get a full spectrum 6500k or higher LED, or a GE $10 plant bulb from Orchard Supply and plug itvinto a cheap student desk lamp to give some light to your high light plants for couple hours a day, add Flourish Excel to control algae bloom that is common in cycling tanks.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #17 
Rilly10

Thank you! :)
Old 04-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #18 
sunlight

i wish i know how to mail them. May be i need to make a post offering my help? I do buy bettas for other people and i hold them for about 2 weeks make sure they are healthy and eating, then i give them to the owners. So if anyone live close to me i can help. So far all bettas are healthy .
Sorry for your betta , i hope next one will live longer:(
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #19 
DefStatic

What were your water changes? Do you have pics of your tank? I do not often say this, but it sounds over planted.

The Evolve 4 light is sufficient for growing low light plants.

I am curious how you got such an ammonia spike with so many plants. I never tested for ammonia in my Evolve 4. I did 20% water changes semi-daily the first week. Only weekly 20% water changes the next week. The next week I had a Nitrite spike, and went back to 20% water changes semi-daily.

I let it sit over the weekend. This is my office tank. I was scared what I might come back to. But I supposedly have no nitrites now.

What are you doing for your water flow? Did you adjest the filter down to it's lowest setting? Did you add anything to reduce the flow more?

I also fully suggest add at least a Fluval Sponge to the intake. I do not like the idea of changing the Aqueon Filter Cartridge and starting a new. I feel this would only set one back as far as their beneficial bacteria. Keeping a sponge in the intake will resolve this. The you could then alternate one month changing the filter media, and the next month changing the sponge.

If you are really adventurous, you could look at replacing the whole filter setup. Which is what I am looking at doing next.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #20 
Otterfun

She had ammonia in her tap water IIRC

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=151073

Last edited by Otterfun; 04-15-2013 at 11:23 AM.