Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #1 
huskiesfan2012

URGENT: Strange Betta Disease

I recently took home a friend's betta from as she was unable to properly care for the fish. He lived in very dirty water and was often not fed. After the trip home, I cleaned his tank (one of the small tanks with no filtration that is often sold at generic pet stores) and noticed his scales were raised on one side near the back of his body (pinecone, like dropsy). A few days later, the scales on the top of his spine were slightly raised. I then left for Spring Break and my Mom took care of him. He was lethargic and didn't really eat. She lowered the amount of water in the take and was doing 20% water changes every couple days. When I came home from the break, the fish had a large gaping hole of missing flesh. I was going to start treating with antibiotics, but we were unsure if this would aggravate his open wound. He has been swimming around and eating more (seeming to get better) when today I noticed that there was a similar lesion starting to develop on the opposite side. I have searched everywhere and have really found no clues as to what this potentially could be.

huskiesfan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #2 
huskiesfan2012

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9491466...in/photostream
Old 04-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #3 
tngirl92

My fish had a similar problem recently. I ultimately diagnosed it as some type of bacterial infection and treated with Maracyn, Maracyn 2, and aquarium salt. The antibiotics will help, not aggravate his open wound. However, if he is beginning to pinecone, it may be too late. Try to make him as comfortable as possible, start antibiotic treatment, and hope for the best. A dose of stress coat and daily 50% water changes could also help. Other, more knowledgeable betta owners may be able to help more.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #4 
huskiesfan2012

Oh, I forgot to mention that... His dropsy symptoms completely went away! However, the strange wound had replaced it.

Thank you so much! I will start the antibiotic treatment right away! I plan to return the antibiotic I bought (which was advertised as such but was actually a non-antibiotic treatment) and get the Maracyn treatments tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 AM   #5 
tngirl92

Yeah, definitely go with a combination of both types of Marcyn since they treat a wide range of infections and can be used together. Picking up the aquarium salt and stress coat while your at it can also help heal his physical wound. I used all of these together this week with no problem, and my fish is back to himself. As always though, watch your fish carefully for any change in behavior that could indicate a reaction to the medication. Aquarium salt can make him bloated, which you will want to monitor carefully if he has recently pineconed. Good luck with your fish!
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, emergency