Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #1 
Chevko

40G Breeder Suggestions?

So, my boyfriend has officially gotten interested in fish now because of our guppies. He's curious about the following for our new 40 Breeder:
  • Non-aggressive
  • Active
  • Singular
  • Freshwater
  • Semi-tropical

I personally want shoaling or schooling, but if so they need to be distinguishable like guppies. He doesn't really like uniform with schools/shoals - wants to be able to tell this one from that one. And I don't care for angelfish that much, personally.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #2 
thekoimaiden

GOLDFISH! Lol! They do fit all of your requirements, and you could have 2-3 in that tank. Only thing is they like to be in groups instead of a single fish.

If you're looking for fish that are distinguishable you're really going to be looking for things like livebearers or other fish with captive bred morphs. You can get a couple different color varieties of platies or swordtails. Some livebearers you can't keep together, but I don't remember which ones. And most livebearers can be kept at cooler than tropical temperatures (below 75F).
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:15 AM   #3 
Chevko

lol, I heard that goldfish are more cool water, 60's area. But yeah, no goldfish personally. We're wanting to get several fish as well with the 40.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #4 
Crowntails

A trio of Swordtails, a school of Halequin Rasboras, and a school of Panda cories would look so nice.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #5 
Chevko

Bringing back my thread... I meant semi aggressive in the first post there (I think), but oh well.

So. Boyfriend wants a semi aggressive tank for the 40. What if I did a sorority with about 6-8 (betta) girls and a ghost knife? The knife doesn't have very good eyesight and thus is rather unlikely to eat the girls.

6-8 girls.
3 nerites? Maybe move Honey over to it entirely.
Ghost Knife

Prolly a standing, in-tank filter on a ramp of sorts to create a small current, sparse plants if doing them (with MTS to stir the sand).

Reason I'm thinking 6-8 girls is because we got our (first) betta last night and there was a CT female, red/white that I found to be rather attractive. (And I'm addicted to fish and they would easily obtained, though expensive unless Petco offers discounts on "bulk" purchases.)
Old 05-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #6 
ZombieKeepr

Definitely no girls in with the knife. They're pretty good at what they do despite bad eyesight and girls really don't move that fast[especially not when they're comfortable]. Past that, the knife will need atleast a 100+gal tank when it's full grown.
ZombieKeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #7 
Chevko

Ghost Knives don't get more than 10 inches. What I've read was that they need a minimum of about 50 but with enough filtration they could do a 40, especially with the width. Brown knives I would expect need a bit bigger than ghosts. /headtilt
Old 05-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Black Ghost Knifefish (Apteronotus albifrons) are most assuredly not suited for a tank of that size. They will grow to about a foot in captivity and have inflexible spines. They are a weakly electric fish (which is how they find prey) and produce electric currents using the muscles along the spine hence why it is inflexible. They need a tank that is at least double as wide as they are long to move around properly. A 40 is okay as a temporary grow-out, but is not suitable long-term. You are looking at a 100+ gal tank when it is fully grown.

As for the female bettas, they will become a midnight snack. BGK are very adept predators and do not use their eyes to hunt; they use electrical impulses and hunt at night when the bettas are sleeping.

If you are truly looking for a semi-aggressive community, look into cichlids. If you have soft water there are South American cichlids; for hard water there are the africans.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #9 
Chevko

Ahhh, okay. I will definitely keep this in mind. I did let my boyfriend know so we definitely aren't getting a Knife. I'm trying to talk him into a sorority but it's not going so well... I know he's had his eye on some cichlids so we might go with them, but don't they get big? Or am I getting them mixed up with oscars? What about gouramis?
Old 05-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Oscars are cichlids... The name "cichlid" encompasses a ton of fish. Gouramis would work in a 40g but I don't know a ton about them.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
40 gallon tank