Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #21 
Chevko

Ooh. Just did some looking at PetCo's website over fish and apparently Sailfins can get up to 6.5"?? Is this true? D:
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #22 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
If he likes Cichlids, and wants a smaller variety then what about some Kribensis.. Another choice would be some Rams..
Hmmm. This isn't an easy fish type to keep. In general African cichlids have completely different needs then other fish. While I would say yes for cichlids because they are such AWESOME fish I would also say bigger tank and also look to cichlid forums to get better info because thats what I had to do. My two cichlids are surely the coolest fish I own but also the hardest to keep fish I own! Ypu actually have to create a hierarchy between the males and establishing a tank boss and overstocking the tank plus better filtration to deal with the overstocking. It's not simple in any play of words.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #23 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevko View Post
Ooh. Just did some looking at PetCo's website over fish and apparently Sailfins can get up to 6.5"?? Is this true? D:
Sailfin plecos? They can get over a foot long.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib3rJZ_JgoM"]Feeding the 150 - Angel of Hope - Omar Akram - YouTube[/ame]

This is a video made by a member and a friend of mine. It's a sailfin pleco in his 150 gal.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #24 
Riverotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevko View Post
Yes, they can! And humans can get up to 7 feet tall ;)

It depends mostly on species but also on age. Most mollies - even in the wild - are actually a cross of sub-species. I'd have to look it up to be sure but I think that it is the pure Yucatan molly that regularly gets so big. Most sailfins will max out at about 4 inches.

But they do continue to grow slowly their entire lives. So if you had a 5 or 6 year old fish it may well get that big, but growth is very slow after the first year.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #25 
Chevko

Ahhh, okay. I think we may truly stop at the 40 on size so I didn't want to get stuck with something I'd have to Upgrade with. Hoping the next apartment place we live will not mind a 10 and a 40.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #26 
Riverotter

Five mollies can happily live their whole lives in a 40, even if they do get to the max in size. But again, unless you manage to get a pure strain, I wouldn't worry about it. The stocking rate given on my first post shouldn't outgrow a 40 gallon even if they all max out in size.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #27 
Chevko

Alright, awesome! :D Thanks! I was really concerned about that, lol.

Well, I'll prolly let this topic get buried until I get my stand built, let my boyfriend pick his choices and ask you guys what you think :3

Tags
40 gallon tank