Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #1 
SlavetoImpulse

Spectrogram

So, when I came home tonight, I noticed my female, Aoi, seems to have grown a tumor. My friend researched, and she has a tumor. It was mentioned in the link she sent to me to treat it with Spectrogram. I have no idea what it is, and I can't find it on any fish supply websites. Does anyone know what it is? Or do you have an alternative treatment suggestion?

I don't want my little girl to die...
SlavetoImpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 AM   #2 
bettababy

If, indeed, your fish has a tumor, medications won't help.
Can you post a photo of your fish?

As for spectrogram, good luck finding it. The company that used to make it (aquatronics) went out of business a number of years ago. The best med for most betta problems was Nitrofura G, also made by that company.

It is possible you could be dealing with a bacterial infection instead of a tumor, but without photos, there isn't much we can do to help diagnose it.
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:57 AM   #3 
SlavetoImpulse

I'm sorry the pictures are so small; my camera is broken, so I had to take them on my phone.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:31 AM   #4 
bettababy

It's very hard to tell from those photos.
If you'd like to try treatment for a bacterial infection, which is what I would suggest... the meds you'll want to use are methylene blue and fungus eliminator. Use them both at the same time. Premix the meds into a bucket of water, dose according to instructions. Let the water stand about 10 minutes, then mix once more to make sure it is all completely mixed in.
100% water changes daily for 10 days, using medicated water. (once the meds are mixed into the bucket of water, that water is good for 48 hrs, or 2 days worth of changes, then needs to be mixed fresh)
If you have live plants in the tank, you can do the treatment in a bowl (provided you can keep the temp up to at least 78 - 80) otherwise move the plants to a bowl until treatment is complete.
If there is a filter on the tank, remove all carbon until treatment is complete, then replace with fresh carbon to remove the medications.

If you have any other questions about the treatment, just ask.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #5 
SlavetoImpulse

Thank you!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 PM   #6 
SlavetoImpulse

Thank you!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #7 
bettaboy
Banned

Hold your horses.

Its possible it is a cyst, which is not uncommon in bettas, or pets in general. It will go away over time... there's nothing you can do.

Tumors, especially malignant, are extremely hard to find in bettas via looking at them.
bettaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #8 
bettababy

Yes, I agree it is possibly a cyst... and the med treatment I suggested won't cause any harm. Those meds together will actually help give the fish's immune system a boost if it's not a bacterial infection, and will help to protect against secondary infection.

Using those meds as I suggested won't do any harm, and it is well worth the chance of saving the fish if it would turn out to be a bacterial infection.

I am quite familiar with betta disease and illness issues, and if this is what I think it is, then a bacterial infection is at the root of the problem.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but the swollen area is between the caudal fin and stomach area, (some describe it as the length of tail before fin) and it is almost clear in appearance or looks like a solid "lump", like someone injected an air bubble into the side of the fish in that location. It appeared out of nowhere, and other than maybe a bit less activity than usual, the fish is acting normal, eating normally, etc.
You may have even noticed some fading in the overall color of the fish. Yes?

If you can answer yes to that, then I do know what we're dealing with, and my suggestion for treatment stands as above. What I just described is an internal bacterial infection, and it can be somewhat hard to treat. The only medications I have found to work at all are the methylene blue and fungus eliminator together. The photos were poor, but clear enough for me to have a good idea of the problem.

Just for your reassurance, I want to say, I don't suggest a med treatment just out of the blue, and I base my suggestions for meds on the ingredients in a specific medication, not the company's claims of what it treats and what it can do. I am well educated in fish medicine, and I take these things very seriously. I have done the research and experimenting personally over the past 10+ yrs combined with formal education in aquatic biology, and when needed, I have the consult from my husband who has a bachelor's degree in aquatic biology. I am not making just a random guess here.