Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #1 
stephenmontero

The Perfect Betta Tank

I just thought i would kick this around. I found my LFS sells rare betta's upon request so i really love the way they look so i put this white halfmoon on a 6 week hold so i could get a tank ready and cycled. What do u guys think would be the Ultimate Betta Tank (like 15 gallons tops) i was just wondering what people thought in terms of Heater, Filter, Lighting, Plants (live), budget is luckily not an issue so let the suggestions begin.

(i have kept bettas before and are keeping them now i have a reasonable good idea just wanted to see what people say here)
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #2 
Ariel

Java fern/ Java moss are good for bettas. They can also handle 100% water changes which is cool.
Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #3 
SST

My dude has a 5 gallon all to himself and is quite happy. My ultimate tank would be a 10 gallon for him with live plants, a heater (of course) and a sponge filter. I'd love to get a shoal of pygmy cories for the bottom. I'd love to do sand as the substrate, but I'm not sure how sand and live plants go together. (And I'd get a few trumpet snails too) The ultimate ultimate, once I've had a chance to learn more, would be to do one of the El Natural tanks that are filtered with live plants and all you have to do is monitor water quality and replace evaporated water.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Interesting thread topic. I can't wait to see what other people say.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #4 
stephenmontero

yeah i know thats why i created it lol i just cant imagine what some members say about it
Old 06-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #5 
Cody

Steph, would this be for the betta itself, or do you plan on add something else with him?
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #6 
okiemavis

I'd say 10-15 gallons heavily planted without any tankmates is pretty ideal as you can get away with an almost minuscule water flow for filtration which is what they like best. Low light setup with lots of floating plants and blackwater.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #7 
JMeenen

oooooo..White Halfmoon..you will have to post a pic when you get him!

I would think a 12-15 Gallon would be great..with Black gravel, Java ferns and caves for hiding and somthing that I have that is really cool is moonlighting..that would look great with your white Betta!
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #8 
Ariel

Yeah. I agree. Java moss would be great at the top of the tank. It could float or latch onto some of the gravel at the bottom. A covered coconut cave would be cool. It would be a great hiding place and it would give a jungle type look to the tank. (If you like that look)
Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #9 
stephenmontero

cody,
this would be a tank just for the betta
Old 06-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #10 
GeegaFish

I've had some very spunky female Bettas in my 46 at different times and I loved to watch them wriggle in and out of the Java Moss. One liked her own little cave and another I used to have actually jumped through the food ring to scatter the flakes!

I can't wait to see some pic's of your handsome new male. I think you should pick a gravel color that you like that would make a striking contrast with the white of the fish. I also liked the moonlight idea that was just posted.

I had a 20 gallon split into three separate sections at one point for Betta males. It looked neat, while it lasted, but unfortunately the gravel I used leached something into the water and killed all my guys. I now have the same tank full of guppies and haven't been brave enough to try Bettas again yet. I really like them, though.
GeegaFish is offline   Reply With Quote