Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #1 
Elliriyanna

NLS VS Omega One

Everyone keeps telling me how wonderful NLS is so I decided to research it some today and I DO NOT see how it could possibly be a great food

NLS
INGREDIENTS: Krill Meal, Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Amino Acids, Algae Meal, Soybean Meal, Fish Oil, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal- Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Biotin. GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Protein 37% Min., Fat 5% Min., Fiber 4% Max., Ash 8% Max., Moisture 10% Max.

Omega One

Contains whole salmon, halibut, shrimp, wheat flour, wheat gluten, fresh kelp, astaxanthin, lecithin, L-ascorbyl-2-phosphate (source of vitamin C), natural and artificial colors, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, folic acid, biotin, inositol, tocopherol (preservative) and ethoxyquin (preservative)
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min) 42.0%, Crude Fat (min) 12.0%, Crude Fiber (max) 2.0%, Moisture (max) 8.5%, Ash (max) 8.0%, Phosphorus (min) 0.5%
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Here is the real ingredient list for NLS betta-

Whole Antarctic krill meal, whole herring meal, whole wheat flour, algae meal, garlic, soybean isolate, beta carotene, spirulina, vegetable and fruit extract (spinach, red and green cabbage, pea, broccoli, zucchini, tomato, red bell pepper, kiwi, apricot, pear, mango, apple, papaya, peach), vitamin a acetate, DL alphatocophero (E), d-activated animal sterol (D3), vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydro-chloride, calcium pantothenate, L-ascorby-2-polyphosphate (stable C), choline chloride, copper proteinate, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, cobalt sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate.

NLS has:
Garlic, anti parasetic/appetite stimulator.
Whole wheat flour as binder
Spirulina

Omega one:
Uses wheat gluten as binder (bad)
Contains ethoxyquin, a carcinogen
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #3 
Elliriyanna

Anything with fish meal has to contain ethyoxyquin its a law which just means that NLS does not include it in their list ...

Also NLS uses many MEALS no real fish.

I just pulled the list off Kens ... So idk why yours varies so much from theirs.

I thought Bettas were mostly carnivorous and that spirulina was a plant or algae
Old 04-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thanks for sharing ! The Omega One does sound better reading the ingredients and more protein too. I dont know I do use the NLS for his night time feeding and Atison`s Pro Betta pellets in the mornings (which I bought from a breeder)

I think they are both very good food which ever one we use it up to us and our fish I guess or which ever one they like the best. I might just get some Omega One to try and see how Perseus likes it and use one brand one day and the other the next day since it would give him something different each day. Sounds like a good plan to do it that way to me.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #5 
Elliriyanna

Yeah I am considering adding a second food for Finn I am just VERY picky lol
Old 04-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
Anything with fish meal has to contain ethyoxyquin its a law which just means that NLS does not include it in their list ...

Also NLS uses many MEALS no real fish.

I just pulled the list off Kens ... So idk why yours varies so much from theirs.

I thought Bettas were mostly carnivorous and that spirulina was a plant or algae

What's the difference if it's in there or not? Omega has it, too.

That is the same list I have for mine, I bought mine off eBay. Ae you in the US?

Bettas are insectivores, they get their fiber from their prey's belly so spirulina will be there. Omega has that, too.

NLS also contains garlic which is good for the immune system, as what Matt said.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Okay I was wondering why the ingredients sounded wrong as to what I had read before in the first post. Matt yours sound like the ones I have read before so I am going with that one, I know it has garlic in it and thats the main reason I like it and use it as the night time feeding. I do know to many binders is not good and can cause SBD right ?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #8 
Elliriyanna

Yes I am in the US

Matt said its not in NLS ... in fact it has to be was my only point.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Elliriyanna I am picky too...lol Anything that has to do with Perseus I am very picky about as I want the best I can afford for him cause dang it he is just that special to me !
Old 04-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #10 
Elliriyanna

Anything to do with my pets I buy them the very best i can afford