Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

Ethoxyquin is normally used as a preservative in many fish foods, even some mammal foods, too. :/ IMHO, I don't think it really matters as long as the first few ingredients are great.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #12 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yes, binders are bad, BUT you will not find a food that does not contain binders of some kind. Wheat gluten is unnatural and bad, whole wheat flour contains fibre and there isn't much in NLS. My list is correct btw. Took right of of the label that I have in front of me. NLS does not contain ethoxyquin. Protein quantities and protein qualities are two different things. NLS has, IMO, higher quality protein. Ltb is correct. When bettas eat insects naturally, the algaes etc are in the belly and are ingested by the fish. You would also be surprised by the amount of vegetable material a betta eats.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #13 
Elliriyanna

You fail to mention that wheat flour in on the list on Omega one.

We can agree to disagree I love Omega one and the protein is from whole fish sources :)
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #14 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thanks for explaining all that Matt cause I really didnt have any idea about most of what you explained only parts of it. Yea I understand better now !!!

Isnt it exciting to see so many of use who really care about what our fish eat, makes me so happy and that we can all work together like this to explain and help others understand what is best for our Bettas ..wow I am so happy and proud to have this forum and all our members to help each other !!! You All Rock !!!!!!!!!

Thanks Elliriyanna for your input I am getting some Omega too to use as well as what I feed him now, its doesnt hurt to have it all covered right...lol

Last edited by Perseusmom; 04-14-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #15 
VJM

Try Repashy. I have only been feeding it for a week, and I am pretty sold on it. I saw a lot of issues with feeding dry foods as a vet tech, so I very much prefer this.

The boys have gone from acting like pigs at feeding time to acting like wolves. They REALLY like it.

I am crossing my fingers that it helps keep SBD away.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #16 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

When conditioning I feed up to 15 NLS pellets+live or frozen food a day and have never had sbd. And OO uses white flour and wheat gluten, both of which are bad.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #17 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Rushes to look up Repashy, thanks VJM !

I have never (knock on wood ) had to deal with SBD either with Perseus my first and only fish.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #18 
VJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
When conditioning I feed up to 15 NLS pellets+live or frozen food a day and have never had sbd. And OO uses white flour and wheat gluten, both of which are bad.
Well, I think you are both an experienced and conscientious betta owner, so I am not surprised your fish are healthy!

After reading a lot of the 'Diseases and Emergencies", I think not everyone has the same outcome. Of course, I can't point to dry pellets and say that they are the root cause. No study I know of that has looked at that. I am just generalizing from issues in other pets, which is totally nonscientific.

Don't get me wrong, I feed them NLS too (which they still love), it's just not their main diet. They also get Atison's (they are meh about that one) and frozen bloodworms (they like these very much).
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #19 
Elliriyanna

I am on Kensfish lol they have it

I am debating NLS now lol since soon I will have a ( sort of ) community tank :)
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #20 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Elliriyanna they only I dont like about NLS is that it will sink if the pellet is moved around very much. Like when I feed Perseus sometimes he will jump and that cause the pellet to swirl around and then sink and sometimes he doesnt see it before it starts to sink which if he does sometimes he will dive after it other times its one for the pond snails...lol They are also very tiny and dark brown colored and I use a small flashlight when I feed them to Perseus so he can see them and I can see he eats it. Just thought I would tell you that in case you decide to give them a try.