Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #21 
Artemis

This is very informative on ethoxyquin. http://dogaware.com/articles/newsethoxyquin.html

Quote:
http://dogaware.com/articles/newsethoxyquin.html

It’s the fat in meat or poultry meal that needs protection from oxidation. Animal protein meals (i.e., “chicken meal,” “lamb meal,” etc.) usually contain 10 to 14 percent fat. While the preservative used to protect the major fat sources in a dog food (such as “chicken fat”) must be declared on pet food labels, the amount of preservative used in protein meals is generally considered low enough to meet the definition of an “incidental additive,” which is not required to appear on the product label. At least, that’s one explanation for why the preservatives used in protein meals don’t have to appear on pet food labels.

Some dog breeders and consumer advocates suspect ethoxyquin of causing cancer, though studies don’t seem to bear that out except at very high levels (5,000 ppm or more)*this is above the max of 150ppm allowed*. On this point, the EPA concluded, “potential cancer risk is below the Agency’s level of concern.” The artificial preservatives BHA and BHT are considered more likely carcinogens.

This is from NLS itself.

Quote:
New Life International, Inc. does not directly add ethoxyquin to any of our foods.

What most hobbyists fail to understand is that every fish food that uses marine proteins such as Krill, Fish, Shrimp, etc., will contain a small amount of ethoxyquin, as will some fats that are added to the formula. The United States Coast Guard regulations (Subpart 148.04 -9) requires any vessel entering US waters that contains fish meal, to have the fish meal preserved with ethoxyquin. This is required by law for the safety and health issues that can arise if fish meal is not preserved properly. I personally know of no manufacturer that makes their own in-house fish meal on site, which means that if fish meal is being used in a food, any type of pet food, there will be at least a small amount of ethoxyquin in the final formula.
NLS does include ethoxyquin and anyone who says otherwise is not fully informed.

Last edited by Artemis; 04-14-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #22 
ryancalif

These preservatives are only a health hazard at certain concentrations. The concentrations found in any food are generally WELL below any guidelines and/or regulations set by a regulatory agency. And even the guidelines/regulations themselves generally have a very healthy factor of safety built-in.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #23 
Artemis

+1 ryancalif. I don't think ethoxyquin is going to pose a rish to creatures and there is very little way around it. More to add:

NLS does include ethoxyquin and anyone who says otherwise is not fully informed.They merely don't list it which means that Omega One is giving all (or most) ingredients while NLS is hiding things. This is combination with the ingredients makes me believe that Omega One is better as the base part of a varied diet.

You mentioned that the bettas will get a good portion of greens. Many bettas origin is rooted in rice patties in the growing season as it provides what they need- food, lots of shallow water, places to hide from predators and each other, and a lot of leaves to build nests under. Around this area, the insects will eat the rice and so would the bettas in which case any grain or flour isn't terribly bad IMO
Old 04-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #24 
Elliriyanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
+1 ryancalif. I don't think ethoxyquin is going to pose a rish to creatures and there is very little way around it. More to add:

NLS does include ethoxyquin and anyone who says otherwise is not fully informed.They merely don't list it which means that Omega One is giving all (or most) ingredients while NLS is hiding things. This is combination with the ingredients makes me believe that Omega One is better as the base part of a varied diet.

You mentioned that the bettas will get a good portion of greens. Many bettas origin is rooted in rice patties in the growing season as it provides what they need- food, lots of shallow water, places to hide from predators and each other, and a lot of leaves to build nests under. Around this area, the insects will eat the rice and so would the bettas in which case any grain or flour isn't terribly bad IMO
'

That first paragraph is my thoughts exactly :)
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #25 
LittleBettaFish

If you have a very high quality meal product as your first product, this can sometimes be better than a 'whole' meat product.

This is about dog food, but I am assuming can be applied to fish food as well

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosi...out-meat-meal/

You have to remember that 'whole products' often contain a very high water content, which adds to their weight and can push them to the top of the ingredients list even if the actual meat content is much less.

I have seen a lot of people say that Omega One foods are very high in fat compared to other brands and this is why they don't use them.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #26 
Elliriyanna

That article surprises me ... I have a cat and I dont feed her anything that real meat is not the first ingredient and I have heard even from my vets that this is best.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #27 
LittleBettaFish

Basically unless you are feeding a raw diet, nearly everything we put into our fish and pets is completely unnatural. But the way we keep our domesticated animals is also extremely unnatural as well.

I don't get too hung up on the whole vs meal debate. Both products have their advantages and disadvantages and one can be just as bad as the other depending on the quality of the product you are purchasing.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #28 
Elliriyanna

But this is getting very off topic ... Basically ... Both Omega One and NLS are good foods they just take different approaches
Old 04-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #29 
LittleBettaFish

They are both definitely more top of the range in regards to fish food. There are a lot of worse quality products out there you could be feeding your bettas, and as long as your fish are healthy on either food it's all that really matters.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #30 
Artemis

I still go to Omega. In the article it says: No meal product can ever be better than the raw materials that were used to make it.

This means that Omega is better nutrition wise.