Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #1 
justmel
Member
 
justmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hampton, Virginia
I don't understand these instruction to treat my fish, PLEASE help

One of the ladies I brought home from the pet store yesterday seems to have Velvet. On the sticky that tell how to treat that it says to treat the same as ick, I copied this from the treatment section on Ink and just don't understand what it mean.
"Conservative: Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt."

Am I adding the salt to water to treat her with 3 times before I treat her? I know the salt is supposed to be dissolved before putting the betta in it. Or do I do a partial water change, adding salt water back in & in 12 hrs do another, then a 3rd after 12 hrs more followed by daily 100% changes? Can anyone please help me try and clear this up.

Also, after she is taken care of how do I clean her bowl? Do I need to take any special precautions? She's in a QT bowl of mine and I want to make sure it's safe to use for the next fish.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #2 
HeroicPoison
Member
 
HeroicPoison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
I don't understand... If u wait 12 hours inbetween adding salt.. U run out of time in the day for 3 doses... And would u keep it at that concentration after the water change? I'd try looking it up online u may find something to clear it up
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #3 
justmel
Member
 
justmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hampton, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPoison View Post
I don't understand... If u wait 12 hours inbetween adding salt.. U run out of time in the day for 3 doses... And would u keep it at that concentration after the water change? I'd try looking it up online u may find something to clear it up
I'm glad I'm not the only one that confused. I got a hold of someone and got it cleared up. When you mix the AQ salt add 1 tsp/gal. Add a little of this water to the sick betta. In 12 hours add more, another 12 a little more. After that the instruction are easier to follow.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish
Member
 
LittleBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
This is not about dosage, but I have to say salt did nothing for my velvet problems. I have found Velvet to be a lot nastier than garden variety ich, and it can be extremely resilient. Just be aware you may need medication further down the track.

Also any equipment you have touched the infected tank with don't use on any of your other tanks. I did that once and spread it around 10 or so tanks. Not fun at all. Like ich it can be very easily spread from tank to tank.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #5 
HeroicPoison
Member
 
HeroicPoison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one that confused. I got a hold of someone and got it cleared up. When you mix the AQ salt add 1 tsp/gal. Add a little of this water to the sick betta. In 12 hours add more, another 12 a little more. After that the instruction are easier to follow.
I hate it when things rnt clear XD I'm glad someone helped u figure it out :)
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #6 
justmel
Member
 
justmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hampton, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
This is not about dosage, but I have to say salt did nothing for my velvet problems. I have found Velvet to be a lot nastier than garden variety ich, and it can be extremely resilient. Just be aware you may need medication further down the track.

Also any equipment you have touched the infected tank with don't use on any of your other tanks. I did that once and spread it around 10 or so tanks. Not fun at all. Like ich it can be very easily spread from tank to tank.
Thank you LBF, since she was already in a QT tank I did wonder about that. Now I know to sterilize it and leave it on the shelf a couple months, then sterilize it again before I use it.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish
Member
 
LittleBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I think that if you completely dried out the tank/equipment in the sun for a week or two that should be enough. I don't believe the cysts can survive being completely dried out for a long period of time.

I dried out many of my nets/buckets/tanks in the summer sun for a week or so and none of the fish became re-infected.

I have tried googling for you to find an exact answer but haven't found anything concrete yet.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #8 
justmel
Member
 
justmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hampton, Virginia
I have a tendency to over do things. It's very likely her QT bowl will just stay on the shelf for the next 6 months or more. That's after being boiled a couple times. :)
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #9 
justmel
Member
 
justmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hampton, Virginia
Feel so much better about my green girl this morning (we have not named her yet) She's still clamped up, but she's swimming around instead of just laying there & I saw her eat for the first time. It was only 1 pellet, but it was something!
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parents don't understand Alcemistnv The Lounge 37 08-12-2012 09:05 PM
I don't understand!!! Lion Mom Betta Fish Care 16 06-03-2011 05:54 PM
Fungus... I just don't understand. Alexandrite Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 6 03-14-2011 10:49 AM
i don't understand.. sunkissedinCA Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 5 02-13-2010 03:37 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.