Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #1 
Meggie6347

is there anything i can do?! :'( please help!!

Hey everybody...i would really appreciate anything you guys can tell me...i am at such a loss right now...

My betta rory, my favorite.. he is extremely bad right now...before I get into the problem I will give a bit of background...

I got him at least a year ago if not more...he was a rescue and I thought he was going to die in the first place, but he made it and thrived from then on...he has always lived in his 5.5 gallon planted, heated, filtered tank. He gets fed a mixture of pellets, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen bloodworms...but he got the real food more often than the pellets. I didn't have a regular water change schedule like once every few days or once a weeks, but I always made sure it was clean and healthy...i would do water changes on random days, but always kept it clean..

Now on to the problem: maybe a week or two ago, I woke up and went to feed him, and I noticed a scrape on his head, above his eyes...it looked for all the world that he had scratched it on something and hurt himself...i didn't know what it could have been because there is really nothing in the tank that is sharp, but it was a scrape that appeared overnight...

Then about two days ago, it went downhill.. All at once he just stopped eating, which is weird because he had been eating just fine before and usually attacked the brine shrimp that i fed him...then I also noticed that his body was beginning to swell...like dropsy, which I have dealt with before with other fish from unhealthy stores...so last night, I drained his tank to about 3 gallons so he could get air easily and shut off the filter. I put in aquarium salt, only 2 teaspoons which is less than the usual dose and I added it slowly...

Well this morning....coming back to the scrape on his head...it had begun to heal before but within two hours since the last time I had looked, it was a gaping crater in hjs head, bright red. His scales are very pineconed and he isn't active or eating. the only good thing is that he js still swimming a tad...like he isnt floating or laying on the ground, but he can swim if he has to.

I am led now to believe that it could be something fungal, bacterial, or even (but less likely) parasitic, so in a vain attempt I have added a small but appropriate dose of tetra fungus guard...in the last two days I have given him to half water changes...but I don't know what else I can do...

I am begging of anyone with any advice, please help! I love this guy so much! Even if I can't save him, which I know is probably the case, I want to make it as comfortable as I can...

one thing I did notice, ever since I added the medicine a few hours ago, he is a lot less clamped and his head looks a tad less red...if i can get these pictures up, they are from after i added the medicine

I will try to post pictures..thank you for any help!
Meg
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #2 
Meggie6347

Here are the pictures: (sorry, they aren't all that great, they were taken on my phone...let me know if you need better ones)

Old 04-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I really dont know enough about this type of situation to help you but I am sure someone will come along soon who can be of more help. First off the thing to do now is make sure his water is extra clean and warm with some stress coat to help the wound heal and be protected. Since you think the medicine you used helped him I would keep using that as the instructions say on the box. Hang in there and wait for more help.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #4 
Meggie6347

Thank you very much! It would be amazing if he somehow recovered.. I don't have stress coat, so that might be something I can pick up today to try to help more! do you think that mixing that with medicine would be okay?

The water is extremely clean and the tempurature is probably about 78-80...I am guessing because I recently removed his thermometer to use on another rescue, but his heater is very good and keeps it within one degree of what it is set at.

Thank you for your reply...I am just praying that he either recovers or goes quickly so he doesn't suffer
Old 04-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #5 
HeroicPoison

Im looking up a few different things online and it almost appears to be face rot... i thought maybe it was HITH... but it seems to be eating away at his face. I cant be certain that it is face rot but it looks very very similar.
Look into it online and if you identify it as face rot it can be treated with a broad spectrum antibiotic and stresscoat+, just ensure that during treatment he has an airstone for air since some treatments can reduce the oxygen levels in the tank. Its also important to remove the filter cartridge from your filter since it will absorb the medications in the tank and filter them out.
Hopefully someone who knows for sure what this is will reply since i am not sure. Its the best i can come up with
Best option is a one gallon hospital tank, its easier to medicate and easier for him to make it to the surface for air... places to rest at the surface of the tank is important... a betta bed (if you dont have one) would be a good thing to buy. I would also keep the light off to keep his stress level down. Keep his water clean and warm and watch for any signs of infection

Last edited by HeroicPoison; 04-14-2013 at 07:06 PM.
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hang on. Help is on the way.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Hi Meg and so sorry about Rory. It sounds like somehow, despite the super clean water, that scrape of his got severely infected and that infection has now traveled internally.

I would agree with HeroicPoison that if you can find a 1 gallon hospital tank, it would make treatment a lot easier. He's going to need medications and most plants hate medications (not to mention beneficial bacteria in filters).

The ideal medication would be Seachem Kanaplex combined with API Furan 2; the Kanaplex is one of only two antibiotics that absorbs well into the system to treat internal infections while Furan-2 is an excellent antibiotic to treat topical infections like the scrape.

The catch is Kanaplex almost always has to be ordered online. Some small local fish stores may carry it but usually not. In that case, the other medication is Maracyn Two but you should be aware that it can sometimes actually worsen dropsy symptoms if the symptoms are caused by a kidney infection; Maracyn Two is very hard on kidneys.

I'd suggest one of those two meds and Furan-2 combined and I'd also recommend taking him out of aquarium salt and putting him into epsom salt to help with the dropsy symptoms. Aquarium salt will worsen the bloating, unfortunately, even if it is helping the wound on his head.

Keep him as warm as possible and if he'll eat, feed him.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #8 
Meggie6347

Thank you so, so much!

I looked it up on petsmart and petco and they don't seem to carry furan-2 or kanaplex....unfortunately, the other small lfs stores have already closed for the day so I will have to call them tomorrow..

I have maracyn plus, but I want to use that as a last resort if I can for the reasons that you stated...

Is there anything I can do for him tonight? The aquarium salt isn't in there any more as I removed the little bit that was in there with the water change today...should I do another water change and remove the medication that is in there right now or leave it there until I can get a hold of kanaplex dn furan 2? And should I do an Epsom salt bath tonight?

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #9 
HeroicPoison

Im not the expert XD but i would give him some time in clean untreated water before starting him on another treatment...
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Meg, yes, go ahead and do a 100% change and remove everything that is in there and add just the epsom salts until you can locate medication. If you can't find Furan-2, you can also use BiFuran by Hikari HealthAid.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote