Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #1 
inspiringmind

Do all Betta's eat this much?

I think I have the hungriest Betta in the world. Frito seems to want to eat a bunch. I mean, I wake up in the morning and give him a pinch. About an hour later he is swimming up towards the hole and I give him a little more and he eats it. So now it is about an hour later and he is doing the same thing. Being one fish I can't imagine him eating THAT much, so I am confused. I just put a little more in that tank and he is eating it!! I don't want to over feed him though!
inspiringmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #2 
bettaboy
Banned

What you are describing is not an indicator that the betta is hungry. He is breathing air, bettas have a labyrinth organ which allows them to breathe atmospheric air. Continue at the rate you are going, and your betta will develop swim bladder disorder in no time.
bettaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #3 
okiemavis

I agree with bettaboy, you certainly shouldn't be feeding him more than a *tiny* amount 2-3 times a day.

Also, watch carefully to see if he is really eating it. Bettas will strike at food in their tank even if they are not hungry, but he may be spitting it out.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #4 
inspiringmind

Thanks! That is what I was thinking. The last time I feed him I did watch him and he spit it out, then ate it, spit it out and then ate it. I am giving him very small pinches of food though. I have Tertra BettaMin and he may get about 10 partials of flakes at a time.
inspiringmind is offline   Reply With Quote