Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #1 
lharpster

Changing filter in my betta tank

Hello,
I just finished doing a water change for my new betta, and need to change the filter. It is a Whisper filter. Can I just throw the old one out (it looks really gross) and put in the new one? The directions say to rinse the the filter in tap water and replace. Is it okay to do this?
Thanks for any help.
Lori
lharpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #2 
okiemavis

Are you talking about the filter insert? Yes, just toss the old one out and put the new one in. DON'T rinse with tap water though, rinse it with dechlorinated water.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #3 
lharpster

AHA! I thought there was something about NOT rinsing it in tap water! Thanks for shaking my memory!

Lori
lharpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #4 
Flashygrrl

You can also make an older filter insert last longer and preserve the biological filtration on it by just swishing it around in the old tank water you took out. A lot of filters have a kind of sponge or mesh thing in it that builds up bacteria so in those it's not as important to save the insert but some don't have it. And never rinse the sponge in anything but tank water if you have one.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #5 
LJean

Depending on how often you are cleaning the filter...
We will rinse out the old filter and reuse a time or two before completely replacing with a new one. I rinse the new one in tap water conditioned first, before placing in filter.
It's a five gallon and my daughter tends to over feed her beta, so I clean the tank often.
LJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #6 
okiemavis

The charcoal will only last about 3 weeks regardless, so unless you're using something other than charcoal, you're going to want to be changing it, not just rinsing it.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote