Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #1 
Lonely Dragon

Is it Normal for Bettas to Be So…Energetic?

My new betta, Io, has to be the most energetic fish I've ever had. He's barely stayed still since I got him yesterday (with the exception of sleeping through the night). He just keeps pacing along the back, or side of his tank, sometimes darting so fast I'm surprised he can stop.

At first I thought the filter current was bothering him and that's why he stayed in the back, but this afternoon he decided to pace the front of his tank instead. He even spent some time "surfing" in the current. He doesn't seem to be breathing hard, he stops occasionally for a gulp of air, and he has no problem slowing down to get some dinner (he already knows where the food comes from).

Could he just be enjoying all this space? Or does he have ADHD or something
Lonely Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Both of my fish are energetic. Although my female is much more so than my male. My male's favorite thing to do right now during the day is do half hour rotations between his favorite resting and hiding spots. During the evenings, he's making bubble nests like mad. My female is constantly swimming all over her tank and I hardly ever see her resting at all.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #3 
Lonely Dragon

Okay, well it's good to know he's not the only hyper betta around. Io spends most of the time darting along the edge of the tank, but sometimes takes a little break in one of his plants. He also seems to have found a "massager" in the filter. He rubs up against the intake tube, I think he likes it sucking on him as he swims by...crazy fish.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #4 
Lonely Dragon

Is it normal for him to keep diving down to the bottom real fast? It's like he has somewhere to be and he has to be there THIS MINUTE! I think he hit his face on the gravel one time...He stopped diving so low after that.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #5 
GemmaBetta

My betta loves to pace the back of his tank, swim laps, and dive down. He hit one of my ghost shrimp once so thinks twice about diving so low, but I honestly think its a sign of happiness. It's like a dog who likes to run! I think it's just swimming because it can! It makes me happy to see my betta happy:)
GemmaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #6 
Lonely Dragon

Well that makes me happy to think he's just enjoying his tank
He was swimming laps in his cup in the store, so I guess he just loves all the space
Old 04-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #7 
kimt

I think they all have their quirks. My crowntail is pretty energetic while my elephant ear lounges on his betta leaf like it's his job. The baby though is a tiny maniac. He was a rescue and now that he is feeling better, he loves to zoom around the tank. I think he is just happy to be alive.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #8 
Otterfun

If he is running against AQ decor or the valve and darting, then these might be symptoms of ich. Check disease sticky.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #9 
quietlythundering

I think it's interesting that you named him Io, considering the end of the Greek myth from which that names comes from. Or is that why you named him that? My boy Declan is always moving around, but then he's my friendliest, so I think it's cause he's just curious about what's going on.
But yeah, you should also check to see that whatever he's going through isn't disease related, just in case!
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #10 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
If he is running against AQ decor or the valve and darting, then these might be symptoms of ich. Check disease sticky.
sorry typo, i meant "rubbing"
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote