Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #11 
bannlow2471

Now that I have multiple Bettas to compare, it seems that it does depend a lot on the individual fish. Murray, my first Betta, is very chill, and has been from Day 1. I call him Mr. Moody Blue ... he has a very soulful, almost meditative quality about him. I never saw him flare until about two weeks ago (I've had him since last October) and that was because I got one of those little floating Betta mirrors and put it in his tank for a few minutes). Chai Son, the baby, is a bundle of energy - probably like most baby/young animals. They seem to go overnight from doing not much of anything to zipping around like crazy. The two crowntail girls, Suma and Aurora, I'm still kind of getting to know. Suma I've had for a little under two weeks, and for the first week she was in a Kritter Keeper with no filter and had to have 100% water changes daily so she was a little nervous. Now that she's in a 5 gallon tank and the tank maintenance is not so intrusive, she's starting to explore a little more and stop hiding in the plants. I guess I'll see how she is as I get to know her better. Aurora, same thing ... I just got her yesterday, so it's hard to say what she'll really be like once she gets settled in. Your guy sounds very entertaining!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #12 
Lonely Dragon

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Otterfun, it's not like he searches for the filter tube to rub on, he just does if he happens to be nearby. He isn't rubbing on anything else though. I've had a betta (and several other fish) that had ich before so I do know what it looks like at least, but I'll go check out the sticky. Thanks for the tip though, I'll be sure to keep an eye on him to make sure it's not ich.
quietlythundering, I actually named him Io after Jupiter's volcanic moon (which of course got that name from Greek mythology). What's the end of that Greek myth?
bannlow, he is by far the most entertaining betta I've ever had.

I think he's just energetic. He's getting to know me now and always swims to the front of the tank when I go in my room. I've also been tapping on the glass gently when I'm about to feed him, and he already knows where to go when he hears it. It's amazing how fast they can learn!
Lonely Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #13 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Dragon View Post
Otterfun, it's not like he searches for the filter tube to rub on, he just does if he happens to be nearby. He isn't rubbing on anything else though. I've had a betta (and several other fish) that had ich before so I do know what it looks like at least, but I'll go check out the sticky. Thanks for the tip though, I'll be sure to keep an eye on him to make sure it's not ich.
cool, I hope it is not ich, too.
mine also ride the outflow wave for fun but my girls do not rub against the foam, though.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #14 
quietlythundering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Dragon View Post
quietlythundering, I actually named him Io after Jupiter's volcanic moon (which of course got that name from Greek mythology). What's the end of that Greek myth?
bannlow, he is by far the most entertaining betta I've ever had.

I think he's just energetic. He's getting to know me now and always swims to the front of the tank when I go in my room. I've also been tapping on the glass gently when I'm about to feed him, and he already knows where to go when he hears it. It's amazing how fast they can learn!
Well, it's a bit long, but here's the story:
Zeus fell in love with a girl named Io. Now in some variations of this myth she's either a plain old princess or a nymph princess, but either way, the story goes that Zeus wanted her, and when the king of the gods wants something, not even his own wife, Hera, can stop him from getting it. However, that doesn't mean she can't take her revenge, and this case was no exception. In order to hide Io, Zeus covered the sky in clouds to prevent Hera from seeing them together, but that only made Hera suspicious, so she told him to move them. Before he did, he turned Io into a white cow, and so when Hera saw her, she knew he had taken a new lover. She then asked Zeus to give her the cow as a present. Zeus had to give her Io, because he knew that if he didn't Hera would kill her. So Hera takes Io, and asks her favorite guard, Argos, to watch her since Hera knew Zeus would come back for his mistress. Now what made Argus so special was that his body was covered in eyes, and so it was virtually impossible for anyone to get passed him. So what does Zeus do? He asks the most wily of the gods, Hermes, to go steal his girl-cow back, because if anyone can do it, certainly the god of thieves can. And wouldn't you know, of course he does! Unfortunately, he killed Argos in the process, and so when Hera goes to check on her favorite guard and captive only to find no cow and a dead Argos, she is furious and more than eager to avenge the death of Argos, who she turns into a beautiful bird with hundreds of eyes all over its tail; and that is where we get the peacock, and why it is Hera's symbol. Still fuming, she conjures up a relentless gadfly, who's sole job is to torment and chase Io to the ends of the earth. Io, in turn, can never stop running from it, or else she'll be bitten. And Zeus? Well, you can't punish the leader of mount Olympus, who doesn't learn a thing a from this except that it's probably not a good idea to get caught.....
And that's the story of Io!

Last edited by quietlythundering; 04-16-2013 at 01:10 AM.
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #15 
Lonely Dragon

Wow. Well the "never stops running" definitely fits my boy. We actually read a short version of that in class, but the only thing I remembered was the cow.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #16 
quietlythundering

That's what I meant by that ^^'
Despite it's origin, it's a nice name! Short and sweet! I'm having trouble naming my new boy, so maybe I'll turn to the myths too....
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #17 
Lonely Dragon

Well he seems to have calmed down a little bit. Maybe he was just enjoying his new tank with so much space =)
Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #18 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thanks for sharing the story quietlythundering . My daughter is a Latin teacher and she is one who got my betta for me so I wanted a Greek myth name and when she said Perseus and it sounded perfect for him.

Lonely Dragon its so fun to watch them dive, Perseus also dives to the bottom, sometimes fast sometimes slow. I agree it is so amazing they are fast learners and I like your guys name its so cool !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #19 
Lonely Dragon

Thanks Perseusmom, I like your guys name too!

Io is still crazy but I love watching him. I changed a gallon of his water yesterday and he was so funny! As I was pouring the new water in he started to swim all around where I was pouring. He'd dive into the water flow which would shoot him over to the side of the tank, then he'd come racing back chasing bubbles. I've never had such a silly betta before. He also blows "kisses" to me. Soon as he sees me he starts wiggling his butt and popping his mouth open.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #20 
smaughunter

My Feynman is full of zest too. Always swimming around, begging for food, building bubblenests and flaring at his reflection. Makes me laugh. He just enjoys life.
smaughunter is offline   Reply With Quote