Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #1 
mermaid77

Chronic SBD sufferer questions

Hi everyone!

I adopted a baby betta 3 wks ago from Petco who seems to have chronic SBD issues...She's had her good and her bad days, and very recently scared the crap out of me when she took a sudden turn for the worse to the point I thought she was very close to dying...
Thankfully, she surprised me and she's again making a slow recovery...

I'll be picking up some daphnia next chance I get to go to Petsmart...

My first question is regarding the daphnia...I know frozen is better, but I'm quite frankly so exasperated with dealing with bacterial and parasitic infections with all my fish so far ( even my Merlin who up until yesterday afternoon I was thinking to myself 'Yayy, I finally scored a completely healthy fish', upon closer inspection, lo and behold...he's got external parasites hanging out of his gills!!! WTF! More treatments ahead of me.... And that's strike three....I am REALLY starting to detest 100% daily water changes and dosings of this, that and the other thing....it's been almost non stop since I started in Feb... ) that I'm reluctant to give anything that I know isn't treated...so I would prefer to feed the freeze dried...but, I read somewhere freeze dried foods can actually contribute to constipation....
Does this also apply to daphnia? Online the product description states it does have a laxative effect...Just want to be sure before I toss even more money down the drain....

My second question is about the epsom salt....
It isn't harmful to them like AQ salt, but, is it advisable to use it as a permanent water additive for a chronic sufferer? I'm thinking it isn't...but just thought I'd ask anyway....

Thanks....

Last edited by mermaid77; 04-14-2013 at 09:16 PM.
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

How long has she been in Epsom salt? It's generally considered safe to use for a fairly long term, but I don't think I'd want to keep her in there indefinitely.

What are you feeding her? And how much, and how often?

Maybe you can find her a good protein pellet that she can tolerate. You may need to start out slowly, with tiny amounts, and gradually build up from there.

(Sorry, can't answer your questions about daphnia, as I have used it....)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #3 
Kongbetta

I feed my fish Live daphnia twice a day ,i don't see any problem with my fish
Kongbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #4 
mermaid77

@LittkeBlueFishlets- Hi :) I had slowly worked my way up to feeding her 1 crushed Omega One pellets 3x a day ( she's had this issue since day one, so I started only feeding her 1 pellet for about a week - though I don't feel that was adequate enough nutrition for a growing betta, but she has grown regardless )...right now I cut her back to two...I stopped the freeze dried bloodworm she got once a week...which was 1 or 1-1/2 depending on size...
She's been on epsom salt for 6 days now...since I've had her, her condition changed from a floating problem, to now a sinking problem...but she's active again, which I'm happy about...and her water level has also been lowered to help her out, along with lots of plant leaves for her to perch on....
I guess I'll keep adding the espom for a little while longer, maybe a week or so...and then see how she'll do from there...

@Kongbetta- Hello :) Well, unlike me, you are fortunate...I've had the worst luck so far, to the point I just wanted to give up fish keeping all together...so, like I said, if I can avoid taking any potential risks, I certainly will, because the way things have been going my fish will probably come down with something else!!! lol I haven't purchased it yet, but yeah, I'm definitely going for the freeze dried and soak it well before feeding...

On a good note, Merlin's parasites fell right off with the AQ salt treatment and temp raised to 84*...this was a breeze and at least with him, I fervently hope this was the last of his problems until he reaches a ripe old age!!! I have already started phasing the salt out of his water...he's still so little that I don't want him marinating in all that salt for too long...
Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

I see you haven't gotten too many replies, and since you have babies, I'm wondering if someone from the breeding or spawn forums could give you advice about this. Babies' needs are different, and what is ok for an adult may not be ok for a baby.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #6 
KappaTheImp

I think the old fish lady once gave me the answer that chronic SBD sufferers could be kept in epsom salt indefinitely. I had a floaty girl for about six months, and suddenly her symtoms cleared, no idea why. Good luck.
KappaTheImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #7 
mermaid77

@LittleBlueFishlets - Right, my understanding is that babies need to eat more often...that's why I was aiming for small amounts but 3-4 times a day...but with her...it only seemed to worsen her condition...Not that the little bugger ever refused anything! lol She'd be a little pig if I allowed her to be...

@KappaTheImp- Really? After 6 months? That's wonderful! So you did keep adding the salt the whole time? I still haven't lost hope that she may eventually grow out of it...I hear SBD is even more common among young bettas...
Thanks, I'll try to find Oldfishlady's thread with that advice!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #8 
KappaTheImp

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=101998 Here was the thread, OldFishLady is the seventh post down. I don't remember how long the initial treatment was, but it was at a full dose of 3 tsp per gallon, before I dropped down to a long term dose of 1 tsp per gallon. Good luck!
KappaTheImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #9 
mermaid77

Thanks sooo much Kappa!!! Morgana and I really appreciate your help! :)

She's doing better today, almost as good as she's ever been...which of course has never been perfect, but she seems content and active and zooms to greet me at the front of her tank again. She's no longer letting her condition keep her away from exploring any part of her tank that she desires, be it top or bottom! Since it's OK, I'm thinking keeping her on the Epsom will be a good idea...at least until she's a bit bigger and then we'll take it from there...If it turns out she'll need it for the rest of her life, well then, so be it.