Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #1 
bettaman12

New Betta Tank Questions!

Sorry I posted this in another thread. I don't know which category it fits into better.
Hi! I'm fairly new to the betta community. I have owned several before but I have never taken them seriously. I am planning to start a 10 gallon betta community tank. I plan to have a male betta, a dwarf pleco, 4 ghost or cherry shrimp, 2 ADF frogs, and a snail. I was also planning to put some Anacharis plants, bamboo, and Amazon sword plants. I don't know if my current tankmates will fare well with the betta. I also do not know what kind of snail to get. Any recommendations would be nice! I also would appreciate some good tips on food, feeding strategies, and other aquarium tips! Thanks a bunch!
bettaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #2 
Crowntails

Your stocking sounds fine, except for the dwarf pleco. Ditch that idea, even dwarf plecos are to big for 10 gallon. For snails, either Apple/Mystery or Nerites are good. Amazon Swords are way to big for a 10 gallon, they need at least a 55 gallon since they reach up to 2 feet. Don't get bamboo, it will just rot if they leaves aren't kept above water level.

For food, bettas do great on NLS. I'd get bloodworms for the others. Also, get shrimp specific food for the shrimp. You may want to feed the ADFs in a separate tank because they are to slow to catch food with a betta in the tank.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #3 
bettaman12

Yeah, I'm getting 2 otocinclus catfish instead of the pleco. I am also not doing the amazon sword. I am going to feed the fish Hikari Bio-Gold and i will alternate with bloodworms, tubifex, and brine shrimp. I also am getting shrimp food and algae wafers for the otos. I am using pipettes to feed the ADFs sinking frog pellets. I am also going to get an Apple snail. Any recommendations for plants. I want a good substrate for the plants and I want a moderately planted tank. Thanks!
bettaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote