Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #11 
Nix

I have no idea what this is, but my Eridan looks identical to your guy and is having the same gray problem... but not slime issues... I just moved him Monday from my hospital tank (I had been treating him for fin rot) to a divided 10 gallon that he seems to love. He seems fine except for the gray but it is really worrying me. I hope some one gets to the bottom of this!
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #12 
HeroicPoison

His fins seems clamped I have added a few extra plants to reduce his stress. So far no change.
He swims very.. Well it's not smoothly.. Very mechanically I guess
I do his water every other day, 75-80%
He was eating fine but last night he ate one pellet, spit out a few, ate one more and he was done
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #13 
HeroicPoison

Update:
Red is swimming a little bit more but is still very grey and still seems to be swimming uncomfortably. He is still very jumpy and isnt eating much. He hasnt wanted much interaction with me and is still not making any bubble nests.
Could this be a parasite? Old age?
Does he need some kind of treatment?
im starting to worry and no one seems to know...
Old 04-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #14 
LittleBlueFishlets

I would send a PM to someone like Sakura8 or Olympia...
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #15 
HeroicPoison

I did today i havent gotten a reply yet... im hoping soon... i dont want Red to die or something.. eeek

(btw i didnt name him he was an unwanted pet)
Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #16 
Sakura8

Hi Heroic. Since the slime part has gone away, we can assume it was probably as a result of his fin rot treatment. The graying and the lethargy are a little more troublesome and could be indicative of an internal problem. I'm a little hesitant to suggest a medication since I'm not sure what the nature of that problem is, though. However, you may want to put Red in 1 tsp of epsom salts and if you have Indian Almond leaf or dried, clean oak leaves, you can put those in as well for a source of tannins.

If you did want to try a medication, I would suggest API General Cure or metronidazole as it will treat both internal and external parasites and also provide limited treatment to any internal anaerobic bacteria as well. It's not an antibiotic so we don't run as big a risk of building up a resistance.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #17 
HeroicPoison

Ok I will try the Epsom salt since I have that on hand, does he require daily water changes? And how long should I treat him for?
I will also have to hunt down a oak tree... A walk is in order :)
Old 04-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #18 
Sakura8

If he is in a tank that is 1 gal or smaller, daily water changes and replace the salt. If he is in a tank that is 1-2 gals, every two days. 2 gal and up, normal water change schedule.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #19 
HeroicPoison

Ok one problem ... I just realized this... It's still snowing here in Alberta, Canada (surprise!!) and trees don't have leaves *face palm* and the stores here carry nothing of the sorts.
My cousin said wooden tank decorations contain tannins, is this true? Or is that a bad action plan
Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #20 
Sakura8

Driftwood does, yes. Or you can use decaffeinated, pure green tea. Steep a bag in the tank until the water turns tea coloured.