Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #1 
newbettaguy

Hello All first time betta owner

Hey all

I just gat my first betta and am in the process of seeting up its finale home...

I know you recommend a 2.5 gal tank but all i could afford was a 2 gal that came with a LED light, and hood. I bought a tetra HT10 heater, a thermometer, some gravel, a decoration and a live plant...... heres my little guy a Halfmoon twin tail male plakat...

newbettaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

you set up sounds good ^_^ what's more important that the equpment is the need to provide your betta with the proper care he requires :)
Welcome to the forum!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:32 AM   #3 
bniebetta

yeah, 2 gal is great!! sounds like he will have an awesome home and he is gorgeous!!!
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #4 
newbettaguy

Oh thank you all. The tank also has a filter.... I'm feeding Hikari betta bio gold but he has yet to accept it. He takes it chews it then spits out half of it lol. Do you all believe in a varying diet with brine shrimp and blood worms?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #5 
newbettaguy

Oh another question..... Now that the big tank is up to temp do o pit my betta in a baggie with his current room temp water then put the baggie into the tank to slowly bring him up to temp? The room temp water is at 68-69 the tank is at the proper temp of 78 thanks to heater

Thank you for all your help
Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

yes do acclimate his slowly by floating him in a bag first :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here and your new Betta is very pretty !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #8 
newbettaguy

thank you and I am glad I found this site. I had my guy in a small .75 gal "betta tank" no heater, no filtration, no light. After reading several online posts to betta care and finding this site I went out and spent the last $60 i had

I purchased a petco 2 gal hexagon tank with day/night/off LED light, and filter nice little package for under $30... A Tetra HT10 submersable heater for 2 to 10 gal tanks.. a magnetic inside the tank Thermometer, a tiki statue and a live plant and blue gravel.

the tank was filled with tap water that was treated with Amquel and Novaqua to neutralize chlorine and chloramines and nitrites, nitrates as well as heavy metals and priveds a slime coat... hope thats a good thing as many have recommended those two conditioners... the tank has been running for over 20 hrs and is at temp... my baby was put in a baggie with ample air and is floating in the bag in the tank now...

How long before I can release him into his new home?