Betta Fish Forum banner

New Betta Tank Questions

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  lilnaugrim 
#1 ·
Hi! I'm fairly new to the betta community. I have owned several before but I have never taken them seriously. I am planning to start a 10 gallon betta community tank. I plan to have a male betta, a dwarf pleco, 4 ghost or cherry shrimp, 2 ADF frogs, and a snail. I was also planning to put some Anacharis plants, bamboo, and Amazon sword plants. I don't know if my current tankmates will fare well with the betta. I also do not know what kind of snail to get. Any recommendations would be nice! I also would appreciate some good tips on food, feeding strategies, and other aquarium tips! Thanks a bunch! :-D

#2 ·
Well as far as the pleco, I probably wouldn't consider it because they are poop machines, the bio-load would be a little strenuous for a 10 gallon. I would suggest, if you can, find a dwarf cory cat as they nibble on algae, if that's what your worried about, and also sift around in your substrate. However with all cory cats you have to keep in mind that a smoother substrate is good for their barbels because if you have a sharp gravel it can hurt their little feelers and make it not feel nice for them. So I would just recommend sand for them or some smooth river rocks for a substrate if you went with them. Sand is actually a lot more simple than some people think it to be, but of course it all comes down to personal choice and funding :D here is a great way to clean sand if it comes to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XB0bwtZh8

As far as shrimp with your betta, it depends on the betta. Some will coexist with the shrimp just find but others will see them as a tasty treat and so you'll have to experiment with this. If you don't know how your betta will react then I would try one ghost shrimp first and see what he does since the cherry's are a little more expensive. Same with the frogs but I've never owned them but I've heard some stories about frogs and betta's not getting along. But I would wait until someone with more experience with this to comment.

#4 ·
I would actually suggest about 3-4 otos since they are shoaling fish and need to be kept in groups. Keep in mind their bioload is very high since they are constantly pooping. Also Cherry shrimp eat algae as well, ghost shrimp don't however, they are just scavengers. But again, depends on the betta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.