Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #1 
Goodbettabest

Are my flower decorations aquarium safe??

Hi all! I''ve decided to do an Asian theme in one of my tanks and have searched high &low for some silk cherry blossom flowers to put in the ttank . The best I've been able to come up with are some fake flowers i found in the craft section of a local store. Those flowers have wire in the main stem but not in the branches. What i did was to buy a silk aquarium safe plant, remove the leaves and replace them with the cherry blossom branches (the wire free part). I tested a section of the flowers in water overnight and the dye seems to have held fast although it is a little hard to tell seeing as the flowers are white. Do you think it would be safe to put it in my tank? There was no tag on the artificial flowers to say what they are made of but i am under the impression that unless they are plastic or paper all artificial flowers are classified as the'silk'.
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #2 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbettabest View Post
Hi all! I''ve decided to do an Asian theme in one of my tanks and have searched high &low for some silk cherry blossom flowers to put in the ttank . The best I've been able to come up with are some fake flowers i found in the craft section of a local store. Those flowers have wire in the main stem but not in the branches. What i did was to buy a silk aquarium safe plant, remove the leaves and replace them with the cherry blossom branches (the wire free part). I tested a section of the flowers in water overnight and the dye seems to have held fast although it is a little hard to tell seeing as the flowers are white. Do you think it would be safe to put it in my tank? There was no tag on the artificial flowers to say what they are made of but i am under the impression that unless they are plastic or paper all artificial flowers are classified as the'silk'.
As I've always been told, as long as they don't have sharp edges that can catch tails or make nasty gashes then you should be fine. You could also do the panty hose test by running them over your selected decor and if it snags then sand it down or clip off sharp edges. (:
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

You should probably test them more than once. I tried this with some dollar store plants and the water kept coming up cloudy even though I changed the water several times. I used some bowls and kept changing the water. No dye came off of the plants just something that kept making the water cloudy.

If I could I would start my own aquarium supply company that allows more customization of tanks. The stuff you see in stores is sooooo boring. I am planning a circus theme for my clown like fish Ollie on my profile, possibly a Tuscan villa, Twilight Zone and the list goes on.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

You should be fine, just follow what Jada said about soaking them for a bit, and make sure you add any water treatments that you use as well, just to make sure that the dye still holds fast even with chemicals. :)

I've never had a problem, and I use craft store silk plants exclusively. I agree with Jada, what's out there for tanks are so boring...and they never go with the décor I'm using...so many more options with the craft store plants. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #5 
jesssan2442

I'm glad I saw this thread because I was about to post about the same thing!!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote