Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #41 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahsfish View Post
Okay I have a bad feeling sbd is genetic now. Hopefully this is not the case though.

Would it be possible to see banana before he leaves? I'd like to see his progress since I've had him
This is the first swim bladder issue Ive had with any spawn. I think it was due to my over feed during a critical point of gastro development. Interestingly the spawn was divided into 2, one group given a probiotic bacterial supplement immediately after hatch and the other group not given the supplement. The bacterial group developed no issues so far, 0 out of 60-65, but the non supplement fry has 3-5 out of 70-75 with swb.

I will pm you some pics of Banana this week B. I do find one particular fin rot bacteria does very well in our water and causes raggy and curly fins. Once the water hardness is reduced to 3 it seems be much less active. If you add 20% rain or RO to the tap it seems to not be a problem, but you have to be careful and keep it premixed and tested to keep it consistent or stability fluctuations can cause big problems. Eventually I will be using a ro system with mineral additives to improve the water quality but for now just trying to use my rain barrel. Problem is we have had almost no rain here and since money is tight the RO is on the backburner.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #42 
Mahsfish

Okay great thanks CJ. I've noticed that Eragon the blue boy from you did get a little damage from it but not too bad. The others are fine. I think it's worse with the long fin hm. That is why I will be going the hmpk route after this. Thanks. I migh breed into your line though to get some marble hmpk.
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #43 
logisticsguy

Yes it seems to affect my HM fins way more than my PK or CT which show no signs of the problem at all. Given the water we have here it is likely a good idea to go that way or be faced with buying RO system. It is very hard to produce top notch quality fin HM here without changes to the water chemistry.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #44 
Mahsfish

Quick question. At 2 weeks should I keep feeding bbs or are they good with only mw
Old 05-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #45 
logisticsguy

I usually keep feeding bbs until the end of week 4. At this point I start live or frozen daphnia and introduce a small amount nls
grow. Daily removal of uneaten food, poops, and scummys off the tank bottom is good thing with a turkey baster, the bottom-loving fry that are exposed to too much of that bacteria might not develop their ventral fins. Keeping the fry tank floor clean is important at this stage.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #46 
Mahsfish

Okay I will start that. And where can I get nls? Pisces only or are there other stores?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #47 
logisticsguy

Its is silly but Pisces has the NLS Grow but no NLS Betta. Big Als has NLS Betta but no NLS Grow.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #48 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

The Big Al's here has every kind of NLS possible I think lol.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #49 
Mahsfish

Okay I will check out big als this weekend. Probably riverfront and Pisces aswell since ill he down there, looking to get a couple juvie flowerhorns for my 50 to grow out and keep till the get too big
Old 05-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #50 
logisticsguy

You should send some pics of your Flowerhorns.
They seem to thrive here and Im thinking about getting a breeding pair from a good friend.

PS Big Als keeps the NLS in a different spot than the other food so you may have to ask for it.