Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #1 
Flapmon

Is this a good idea?

I have six bettas as of today, they're all in plastic - unheated, unfiltered bowls until we move next month. It's warm here and they get cleaned every week which is why I'm not bothered about that, plus they all look happy and healthy.

Next month I'll be moving and the state is colder so i've decided to buy a 2ft fish tank and divide it accordingly. They might not have the width but they do have the height, it will be heated and filtered as well. I've also made plans to decorate so they have live plants to hide in as well as their original plastic bits to rest on.

I'm planning on using plexi glass or plastic dividers with 6 suction caps on each divider.

I was just wondering if there's anything else I can do to improve their new home?
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:47 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

with plexi glass there will be no flow between the tanks, making the tank hard to cycle. I would reccomend the binder/plastic canvas dividers which will block the line of sight betwee the fish and allow water flow through. Many users have done this successfully.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #3 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
with plexi glass there will be no flow between the tanks, making the tank hard to cycle. I would reccomend the binder/plastic canvas dividers which will block the line of sight betwee the fish and allow water flow through. Many users have done this successfully.
I've been looking for plastic canvas and I can't really find it anywhere, I'm from Australia and I've been looking online but every website I look at seems to be American.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #4 
Juditko

We get it in our Walmart type places here...along with everything else LOL. It is popular in arts and crafts stores...it's often used for cross stitching, so it may be possible to find it in a sewing store as well. For us, it's a sure bet to pick it up somewhere like a Hobby Lobby or a JoAnn's Fabrics. If you have something similar, that would be a place to try. You might have some Aussie-connected cross stitching websites as well...hope this helps.

From what I've read here, using that canvas and the plastic clip from the report covers is both a cheap and sure way to go...if those supplies are available.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #5 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juditko View Post
We get it in our Walmart type places here...along with everything else LOL. It is popular in arts and crafts stores...it's often used for cross stitching, so it may be possible to find it in a sewing store as well. For us, it's a sure bet to pick it up somewhere like a Hobby Lobby or a JoAnn's Fabrics. If you have something similar, that would be a place to try. You might have some Aussie-connected cross stitching websites as well...hope this helps.

From what I've read here, using that canvas and the plastic clip from the report covers is both a cheap and sure way to go...if those supplies are available.
I'll be sure to have a look, thank you!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #6 
Myates

So.. is it one of those bookshelf aquariums that are 6g? Or a 10g? Dividing it 6 ways may be a bit too much if it's under 10g. Keep in mind bettas don't need height it does nothing for many fish to have height over width.. they do best with width to be able to actually swim and use their muscles. Not to mention naturally shallow long/wide territories are what they go for. I would look into getting at least two tanks of 6g+ for the 6 fish..

I get my canvas from Walmart for a few bucks..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #7 
Flapmon

<<

Last edited by Flapmon; 04-15-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #8 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
So.. is it one of those bookshelf aquariums that are 6g? Or a 10g? Dividing it 6 ways may be a bit too much if it's under 10g. Keep in mind bettas don't need height it does nothing for many fish to have height over width.. they do best with width to be able to actually swim and use their muscles. Not to mention naturally shallow long/wide territories are what they go for. I would look into getting at least two tanks of 6g+ for the 6 fish..

I get my canvas from Walmart for a few bucks..

This will be their new home as of next month. It's just under 16 g, it's 2ft wide x 1ft deep x 1ft 3inch high.

Also not in America, no Walmart.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #9 
Nibblez

Have you tried bigW or Kmart? Im not too sure about the binder/plastic canvas modification, but i reckon it might be closest to what it being recommended. Or bunnings might have fabrics or rubbers that can be cut to size?
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #10 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibblez View Post
Have you tried bigW or Kmart? Im not too sure about the binder/plastic canvas modification, but i reckon it might be closest to what it being recommended. Or bunnings might have fabrics or rubbers that can be cut to size?

That is a fantastic idea! I shall now go searching in those areas.
Or try find a plastic manufacturer around, they might cut some to size.