Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #11 
Nibblez

Good luck! Hope it all works out!
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #12 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibblez View Post
Good luck! Hope it all works out!
I'll be sure to post results!
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #13 
VJM

In my opinion, that tank isn't a good choice.

If you split it to make six compartments lengthwise, each fish has a 4" x 2' x 1'3" area. Those are terrible dimensions for bettas.

If you split it by making three compartments on the front and three on the back, they are still only 8" x 6" each.

In addition, water is going to have to circulate through a lot of layers of craft mesh. You would probably need a spray bar to get decent water circulation. Which means you need a canister filter.

I think you would be a lot better off dividing two or three bookshelf type tanks.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

I think OP is dividing it front to back

it's a pretty wide space front to back, I don't think it's a big problem...
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #15 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post

If you split it to make six compartments lengthwise, each fish has a 4" x 2' x 1'3" area. Those are terrible dimensions for bettas.

If you split it by making three compartments on the front and three on the back, they are still only 8" x 6" each.

In addition, water is going to have to circulate through a lot of layers of craft mesh. You would probably need a spray bar to get decent water circulation. Which means you need a canister filter.

I think you would be a lot better off dividing two or three bookshelf type tanks.
Which is why we'll be getting a plastic/ mesh where the water will flow through easier. They do have a wide space as well. Front on it will look quite small but on side view they have plenty of space to swim with. I'll look over that certain filter, thank you for your help. (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
I think OP is dividing it front to back
it's a pretty wide space front to back, I don't think it's a big problem...
Yes, it's front to back. I'll measure the space as accurately as I can when I get up. We don't have the tank yet. Pretty much when they're in this? They're in a bigger space then what they would be in now and they're in like, 3 g bowls or something.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #16 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post

Each fish will have:
4 inches x 12 inches x 14 inches.

And the bowls their in now are 1 g and working out how many gallons is it a bigger tank they'll be getting two an a half gallons each.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

Fellow Australian here,

Riot Art and Craft shops sell craft mesh, Kmart sells black plastic poster hangers that make much better holders than the plastic strips off the binders, and Spotlight also sell craft mesh in a slightly larger size I believe than Riot.

However, the standard craft mesh size may not be big enough to fit into your tank. You may be best to go with plexiglass (I got my sheet from Bunnings), drill some holes in it and use that instead.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #18 
Flapmon

OR, the idea is now if worse comes to worse and even I don't like the look of it? We'll separate the boys from the girls. Keep the 4 boys in the 2ft and put the two girls into a 5-6 gallon tank. OHGOD.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #19 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Fellow Australian here,

Riot Art and Craft shops sell craft mesh, Kmart sells black plastic poster hangers that make much better holders than the plastic strips off the binders, and Spotlight also sell craft mesh in a slightly larger size I believe than Riot.

However, the standard craft mesh size may not be big enough to fit into your tank. You may be best to go with plexiglass (I got my sheet from Bunnings), drill some holes in it and use that instead.
That's probably a better idea, couldn't find the plexiglass on their website but I'll pop in or give them a call. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #20 
LittleBettaFish

It is fairly pricey though. My sheet cost $50 although it would have given me a couple of dividers.

For some reason I thought your tank was bigger than it is (it looks bigger in the photo).

You may be able to fit the craft mesh in if it's only 30cm from front to back. However, they may not reach all the way to the top of the tank.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote