Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #11 
Artemis

I'm wanting to get a 10 gal tank and breed because I got this gorgeous Delta male and a SUPER eggy plakat girl that would make such a nice pair. I would cull to my other bettas and goldies. If they won't take them then freeze them and bury.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #12 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Why delta and plakat? That will give you veiltails... Freezing is not a humane way of culling either.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #13 
trilobite

Apparently internal ice crystals only form when saltwater fish are frozen, not freshwater ones
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #14 
trilobite

Haha Ive been researching freezing now lol.
So apparently ice crystals can form in freshwater fish too if the slow freeze method is used. If you use the rapid freeze method (dropped straight into crushed ice water) there are no ice crystals and fish are dead within 5 seconds. Its apparently less stressful than overdosing with the euthanasia advocated by AVMA. Quite an interesting read http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc2786934/
Old 04-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #15 
Artemis

+1 for the freezing. In bettas, they will become extremely stressed if placed in a bag to freeze.

Delta or VT are my only option male wise. The plakat is the eggiest girl. When bred together you will actually get Delta that carry the plakat gene. Many HM breeders use PK as they have strong rays to carry the caudal. It will not produce VT unless one or both had a VT trait which they don't as they are not VT and VT is dominant.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #16 
trilobite

Depends on which type of pk she is. A trad is essentially a short finned vt (2 rays and round edges) but If I was you Id probably do a similar cross. The delta will help straighten the tail edges and increase the branching for future generations. Plus if they are your only options then go for it

F2 might get you superdelta pk, since its easier for pk to get a better spread because they dont have as much finnage to move. With good selection you might get some hmpk-ish fish in F3
Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #17 
Artemis

I know! I'm really interested in line breeding and using these petstore fish as a sort of practice and experience builders for the future. My dream line would be a blue dragonscale cambodian halfmoon line or a copper dragon HMPK line or white dragonscale halmoon/deltas! I'm going o move to Louisiana or Texas area to raise spawn outside in kiddie pools for growout and deep bowls for conditioning with netting over it to keep birds out but let mosquito larvae in! Side business though, not full time.

Currently I'm working on raising up some batches of ghost shrimp to line breed for some blues.

Last edited by Artemis; 04-19-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #18 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

In f1, you will get veiltails. The plakats 2 rays are dominant, and the deltas long tail is dominant....
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #19 
Artemis

No it won't. If this was the case why would so many breeders be using plakats in their lines to help with fin form? She is a trad plakat so she does have 2 rays but trad combining the two will not result in VT. If they did, breeders would not be able to use the plakats in breeding.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #20 
trilobite

People tend to use hmpk in their hm lines so they dont have to go backwards. But if you are at the start of your line you cant possibly go backwards using a trad. All my fish started from a trad x hm because hmpk werent even in the country at the time.
Some will get the 2 rays and round tails from mum and long fin from dad = vt. Most will have 2 - 4 branching and varying degrees of tail roundness. Hunt for the straightest edges and most rays for F2
Its a really fun project to work on