Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #1 
XXCiceroXx

Help with my elephant betta?! :(

I just got my male elephant betta 5 or so days ago. He was absolutely great the first 2 days; he swam around a great deal and his fins were absolutely fine. For the past 2 days, he has seemed a lot more mellow; lying on the plants a lot more, sitting near the heater in the back.

Well, he's come out into the open now at a time I'm here; The size of his fins are now literally less then half the size then what they were when I first got him. The fins are more wide at the root, and slowly get smaller. He's having trouble swimming now (it's clearly not a buoyancy issues, however). This took a max of 2 days to happen.

He lives in a 10 gallon tank; 79F as a current temperature, his filter is currently off, tank has silk plants and sand as a substrate.

Bought him at a chain pet store.

Help??
XXCiceroXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Sorry your guy is having problems. Could you please fill this out so we may help you better....thanks.

What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #3 
HeroicPoison

Also a picture would be very helpful :)
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #4 
XXCiceroXx

Sorry for late response, and if this post looks a bit weird; I'm new and haven't gotten used to the posting HTML yet.

Can't take a picture and get it on here at the moment.
*Tank Size* :: 10 gallons.
*Temperature* :: 79F
*Filter* :: Yes, although it's off now; it's pulling him in considering he can't swim well enough now. Filter has the steps on how to betta proof it from this site.
*Aeration* :: No.
*Heated* :: Yes.
*Tank mates* :: None.

*Food* :: Hikari; Betta Bio-Gold.
*Feeding Schedule* :: I feed him twice a day, with 3 pellets each -- will have a day of fasting, although I haven't had him for a week yet (I usually do the last day of the week from when I got them).

*Water Change Info* :: N/A, considering I have't had him long enough to do a water change. I did add water dechlorinator for the water he's in now, though.

*Water Test* ::
Nitrate -- 0 ppm
Nitrite -- .5 ppm
Hardness -- 25 ppm
Chlorine -- 0 ppm
Alkalinity -- 40ish ppm
pH -- 6.8-7.2 ppm

*How has your betta fish's appearance changed?* :: Front fins are much smaller and almost shrunken (refer to first post on how they look more in depth). All his fins are more droopy now, but seemingly not shrunken like the front ones (like he's not trying to use them, almost; before his fins were extended, now he's keeping them in and not suing them).

*How has your betta fish's behavior changed?* :: Has been hiding a lot more; used to swim at the front of the tank (like guarding his territory) with his fins out. His front fins were flowing fine, could swim easily. He can't swim nearly as well as he did before. Is now sitting mostly at the top of the tank, or lying on a plant; would do neither before much at all.

*When did you start noticing the symptoms?* :: Three days ago.

*Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?* :: No; don't want to do thew wrong thing and hurt him.

*Does your fish have any history of being ill?* :: No, but have only had him a few days...

*How old is your fish (approximately)?* :: No idea, honestly. Assuming he's younger though, considering that I got him at a chain store and he seems to be on the smaller side right now.

Thanks for any help you can give. :)

Last edited by XXCiceroXx; 04-16-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Forgot to say thank you. :P
Old 04-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #5 
HeroicPoison

Ok so clamped fins can be a sign of stress... It may be from all the changes.
The first thing i want you to do is to hold a mirror up to his tank to see if he will flare, if he doesnt this may indicate he has something totally different.
I would keep his filter and lights off. You can try adding some API Stresscoat+ to his water this will help him chill out.
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #6 
XXCiceroXx

I'll try to go grab the stress coat tomorrow. :) I do really hope it's stress; I really like him, I hope it's something treatable. =/

I did forget to add, he seemed to get stuck in one of his plants a few days ago; it's http://www.petco.com/product/119029/...ium-Plant.aspx , only a bigger version (it reaches to the top of the 10 gallon). He seemed to get stuck behind it; he would go behind it after going to the bottom of the plant and go up (if that makes sense?), and then he seemed to not to be able to get back down to how he got out -- the feathered things seemed to be agitating him when he tried to go back down?? I pulled the plant right out once I saw that he was having issues.

May that have done it? :( He doesn't seem to have any visible damages. He seemed so happy the first two days, so I'm assuming that the issue with the plant is what pushed him to the point of extreme stress?

I realize I probably seem really jumpy (for lack of a better word) right now, lol...I apologize...
Old 04-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Is there any way to post a picture of him, and a picture of his tank?

Also, does your test kit include an ammonia test?

The plant that you linked to, if it's the one I'm thinking of, has some sharp/pointy edges. But maybe he liked having the cover. If you can replace it with a softer silk plant, that might make him feel more comfortable.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote