Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #11 
lutrafrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
do not put him back until you know what he has and if he is completely recovered. You don't want to contaminate the tank. Hopefully he don't have anything contagious and didn't give it to your other bettas. I would do extra water changes in your tank.
Make sure he not going to develop fuzzy,cottony like patches. Also sometimes fish can lose weight despite eating due to the internal parasites. So make sure his poop in not white, clear, stringy,wormy size that would indicate internal bacteria or internal parasites.
And if will continue acting lethargic and refusing to eat let us know right away -you will need to treat him.
Do you have aquarium or epsom salt at home?
Stress coat good idea. While you have him in the hospital tank i would do daily 100% water changes. But aquarium salt at the pet store and Epsom salt at the pharmacy. Keep him in the hospital tank. Actually you was afraid he is stressed because there is no water movement , but i don't think that is the problem. It would be too easy. Actually not all bettas or a lot of bettas do not like too much water movements.
While you have him in the hospital tank start with 50% water changes today do 2-50% water changes 2-3 hrs a part and next day you can continue 100% water changes. See if it helps. Do you know how to acclimate betta to the new water temperature when you do 100% water changes?
Also white spot could be his slime coat which can be from injuries, from using medications, salt or just from stress coat which is good and his natural protection from the infections. But i don't think that it is slime coat because usually fish don't have behavior changes with that . So he might be sick and have infection so DO NOT put him back .
Also when you cycle your tank make sure you vacuum the gravel , sorry i know you probably know that and rinse the filter media.
Give us update.
I wasn't planning on moving him until I was sure he was better. I did think about internal parasites, but he is eating and pooping normally so I wasn't sure. I did a 50% change yesterday in the main tank, and a 25% today when I removed him. Should I do another 50% tonight? I do have some epsom salt, how much should I dose? I have heard betta are sensitive to salt.
lutrafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

If his poo is normal and he is not bloated , i would hold on epsom salt. Epsom salt is for the internal problem. I think he has external problem. I would go and buy aquarium salt also in case you need it. And watch that white spot. If it something new and he didn't have it before you need to make sure that it not fungal, not spreading. Is it fluffy,fuzzy patch? Is it something new that he has? How long he has it?
Bettas are really tolerable to the salt and very beneficial from that depending on the symptoms. So i think we need to figure out what he has and make sure he getting better or otherwise you need to treat him.
I would do another 50% just in case. Is any of your other bettas show any similar symptoms?
Aquarium salt and Epsom salt bothe have antibacterial / fungal effect and can be used in dosages-1tsp/gall -3tsp/gall . If you have betta in the hospital tank you need to do 100% daily water changes. You need to pre mix in (if you can in one gall jug) shake it very well and make sure it dissolved. You need to acclimate your betta to the new water temp/chemistry.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #13 
lutrafrost

Quote:
If his poo is normal and he is not bloated , i would hold on epsom salt. Epsom salt is for the internal problem. I think he has external problem. I would go and buy aquarium salt also in case you need it. And watch that white spot. If it something new and he didn't have it before you need to make sure that it not fungal, not spreading. Is it fluffy,fuzzy patch? Is it something new that he has? How long he has it?
Bettas are really tolerable to the salt and very beneficial from that depending on the symptoms. So i think we need to figure out what he has and make sure he getting better or otherwise you need to treat him.
I would do another 50% just in case. Is any of your other bettas show any similar symptoms?
Aquarium salt and Epsom salt bothe have antibacterial / fungal effect and can be used in dosages-1tsp/gall -3tsp/gall . If you have betta in the hospital tank you need to do 100% daily water changes. You need to pre mix in (if you can in one gall jug) shake it very well and make sure it dissolved. You need to acclimate your betta to the new water temp/chemistry.
The patch is not fuzzy, it just looks like color loss. It's fairly recent, I noticed it this morning so it may have shown up in the night. I think it may be stress related, like the stripes, as it's gone down a little already. The other two betta are their normal feisty selves. I'll do a change in the main tank, and another 50% change tonight in the QT tank (already did 75% earlier today)
He's moving around some, but still seems droopy.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

If he will not get better with daily water changes i would try aquarium salt. If he is not bloated, his poo normal, scales are not raised,if he will continue get lethargic i would do aquarium salt. Is he eating at all? Aquarium salt is antibacterial and also will balance fish electrolytes level . I am wondering if that white spot is his slime coat. Not sure though , if it just slime coat fish usually don't get lethargic. I would continue water changes in his hospital tank if you have stress coat API might help.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #15 
lutrafrost

Update- I've started treatment with api stress coat and have put him on a better diet. He is still eating normally and is swimming around, but still doesn't seem to be acting quite right- he's certainly not feeling well, he looks a bit weak. Did a 100% change this morning, may do a 25% change tonight as well. Did a 75% change last night in the main tank, hopefully if it's anything in the water it's cleared out now. Thanks for the help guys, will keep you posted.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #16 
ANHEL123

will wait for update. Just make sure no other symptoms develop , and don't afraid to use salt, it very helpful a lot of time, of course depending on symptoms.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #17 
lutrafrost

Update day 3- I think he's feeling better! I got him to flare at a mirror, which I think is a good sign, he's got some of his old spunk back, at least. Been doing twice daily water changes- one 100% in the morning and a 25% one in the evening. He's still looking pretty gaunt though, from the top you can clearly see his swim bladder. I'm worried that it is something along the lines of internal parasites, but his poo still looks normal so I'm not sure.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #18 
ANHEL123

He still eating right, swimming around right? If his poo normal color and he still swimming aroung and eating i am hesitate to recommend to use medications for internal parasites. I think anyone on this forum would tell you to wait, unless you will see black or white, clear stringy,wormy, long transparent trailing string,looks like supr fine hair,OR get bloated. Sometimes internal parisites can have the same symptoms as ich like darting or rubbing against decor, walls , heater...
Usually with internal parasites you will need to use Epsom salt it helps with internal bacteria and it helps to purge the parisites out. But i didn't recommend it because his poo is normal, he is not bloated, scales not raised-WHEN people would recommend Epsom salt. And since you saying that he didn't get worse i would continue with water changes. And you didn't mentioned about any new symptoms. But if you will see any of those symptoms that i described for internal parasites you need to treat him right away. And you can start with Epsom salt , but will appeared that he has internal parasite you will need to treat him with medications. Epsom salt helps a lot but not going treat.
For internal parasites you can use API General Cure, Hikari HealthAidMetro + and SeachemMetro , a medicine with metronidazole is good. Do not buy Tetra Parasite Guard. I read that it has a few ingredients that are not fish friendly. Some one said that diflubenzeron was even used in lawn fertilizer.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #19 
lutrafrost

Quote:
He still eating right, swimming around right? If his poo normal color and he still swimming aroung and eating i am hesitate to recommend to use medications for internal parasites. I think anyone on this forum would tell you to wait, unless you will see black or white, clear stringy,wormy, long transparent trailing string,looks like supr fine hair,OR get bloated. Sometimes internal parisites can have the same symptoms as ich like darting or rubbing against decor, walls , heater...
Usually with internal parasites you will need to use Epsom salt it helps with internal bacteria and it helps to purge the parisites out. But i didn't recommend it because his poo is normal, he is not bloated, scales not raised-WHEN people would recommend Epsom salt. And since you saying that he didn't get worse i would continue with water changes. And you didn't mentioned about any new symptoms. But if you will see any of those symptoms that i described for internal parasites you need to treat him right away. And you can start with Epsom salt , but will appeared that he has internal parasite you will need to treat him with medications. Epsom salt helps a lot but not going treat.
For internal parasites you can use API General Cure, Hikari HealthAidMetro + and SeachemMetro , a medicine with metronidazole is good. Do not buy Tetra Parasite Guard. I read that it has a few ingredients that are not fish friendly. Some one said that diflubenzeron was even used in lawn fertilizer.
Alright, I held on the parasite meds, as he wasn't showing any new symptoms. Just a gut feeling, I guess.
Either way, I think he's feeling a lot better! He's much less lethargic, is swimming around and eating great. Still pretty thin, I think I'm going to keep him in QT a few more days until he gains some more weight. When I do eventually put him back in the tank, I think I'm going to move him to one of the sections without as much current. Thank you so much for the help everyone!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #20 
ANHEL123

I with you would keep him in his own tank. I think he would be better in his own tank. Sorry it just me. Some how i read , i can even try to find the thread - betta is sick , but all other fish is doing great. That is why i am so skeptical to have bettas with other fish.
And i would think give him more time to recover , more than a few days.