Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #11 
Rilly10

I am sooo indecisive with this tank. Now I am thinking of making it a shrimp only tank, or upgrading to the Evolve 8 instead. I am thinking with my water issues, a bigger tank may be easier to keep stable.

The Shrimp Stratum doesn't have any ferts in it. So either way I will have to amend it with something. I am just feeling really defeated and not sure what to do LOL!
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #12 
Rilly10

Well I broke it all down and started over. I have the Shrimp Stratum as the substrate, a piece of Monapi wood with a Java Fern "Windolev"and an Anubias attached. For a floater I have some Azolla and a Dwarf Water Lettuce. I also have a Banana Plant in there. I an waiting on an order for some stems.

In my Spec V I already had an Anubias, Marimo ball, Salvinia, and a java fern. I added the Ozelot Sword to that tank, as well as some Azolla and DWL. Everything is super murky from stirring everything up and tannins, but once it settles down or I do a water change I will get some pics.

Still not sure what I am gonna stock it with though. I am almost just thinking of some Yellow Neocardinia shrimp once it is cycled. I added some water from my other tank (and a piece of Monapi wood) so hoping that will help the cycle along.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I love the yellow neocardinia shrimp! I've never had them but I really really want them along with the orange variation! Unfortunately since all my tanks have Betta's in them...I'm not sure how my girls would react to shrimp in there lol

Oh and adding water from another tank won't do much since very very little of the beneficial bacteria is free swimming if at all. The only thing that would help it along is ornaments/gravel/plants/filter media or whole filter from an established tank because it's usually coated with the bacteria giving it that slimy feeling.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #14 
Rilly10

Gotcha thanks! I added the Monapi from the other tank too....maybe I will switch a few more things too. ;)

I LOVE the orange "Pumpkin" Neos also! I think I may try some Red Cherries with my Betta in the Spec V...He had a ghost shrimp in with him and never bothered it even when it would swim into his face LOL! I deff wouldn't try the Yellows though B/C they can't camouflage at all :)
Old 04-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you give them enough hiding spaces though, they are usually too fast for your betta's and the bettas will get bored after a while.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #16 
Rilly10

That is true! We will see! I have time to think about it anyways....I am too scared to try cycling with a fish in again. Gonna let this tank do it's thing for at least 2-3 weeks if not more like a month.

One other thing I was thinking instead of the Cherries was what about one Dwarf Orange Crawfish with my Betta in the Spec V? Not sure if they need more room though?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #17 
Rilly10

Ok well here it is so far...I hate it LOL! I deff want to add a stem to the back btw the Anubias. I was also thinking of adding moss to the wood? I want to get some Marimos for up front on the ground. I also noticed the Anubias on the right has it's roots covered...gotta move some substrate around. It is tied to a rock under there LOL!

Any suggestions? I donno why but everything I do I am not happy with
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #18 
Rilly10

And just for fun here is the Spec V. I still have 3 banana plants, a bronze crypt, and a smaller Ozelot sword division I can add to either plant (they are in a separate tank just in water), but want to make sure I have the room for a stem or two first.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh my anubias's always just go into the gravel and do fine rooting there. I really like the wood in the Spec V!

In the other one, I would totally do a nice thick row of Dwarf Hairgrass up front and then some taller stem plants on the side like Cabomda or Hortwort and let them curl in towards the top and make a dense forest almost. And then yes, some marimos near the driftwood. I would definitely put some moss on that piece of wood, I've always like that look. It would look like a mini meadow going into a forest, into a dark wood lol Sorry for me and my brain XD
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #20 
Rilly10

Ok thanks! That helps a lot! For the moss on the wood....should I go with Java Moss? Or is there another that would work like the Taiwan Moss or X-Mas Moss? Should I use thread again?

I really want some red plants for the Spec V....I think that would set off the Betta's colors! For the Dwarf Hairgrass, is that ok for low-med light? If needed I can always upgrade the lights, I just deff don't want to do CO2.