Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #1 
newbettaguy

Am I feeding good stuff?

Hello All

I am a brand new betta owner and have my lil guy getting acclimated to his new home. Hes in a baggie with the water hes been in for the past 2 days. The water temp was ambient at 68-69 degrees F. A 2 gallon hexagon tank with a small silent filter, HT10 submersable heater preset to 78 degrees F, LED day/night light, gravel, tiki statue a live plant, and magnetic thermometer.

He was a petco purchase and given to me as a gift. I purchased Hikari Betta Bio-Gold tiny pellets. My guy(no name yet) takes the pellets and chews them for a second then spits out most of it. Im told this can be normal when introducing a new food. Today I purchased Hikari Micro Wafers for small tropical fish. I fed him 3 pellets and devoured them. Ive read varying the diet is a good practice.

So my question is this....

Should I continue to introduce the Bio-Gold and see if he accepts it?

Are the Micro Wafers a suitable main food source?

Is teh Hikari brand a good choice?
I have read many positives about there products.

What do you experienced Betta keepers use?

Thank you for any and all advice

Paul
newbettaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I've never used Hikari but for my boys and girls I use New Life Spectrum Betta Formula because it has garlic in it which is really good for their systems and keeping parasites out. I feed them about 6 pellets a day but I skip Monday or Tuesday (Depends on my dads schedule) and then on Saturdays I give 3 pellets in the morning and 3 or 4 freeze dried bloodworms at night. Hope this gives a bit of insight :)

Also am I reading this correctly? He was in a bag for 2 days?! The max you should ever keep a fish in a bag is about 8 hours, however in some situations I've heard 24 hours max but that's pushing it.

For acclimation you can do the float the bag method for 15 minutes and after that, I pour in half a cup of tank water into the fish bag every 10 to 15 minutes for an hour so that they adjust to the chemistry but after that its into the tank they go! Also remember to never pour straight out of the bag, you never know what diseases are lurking in store tank waters, even betta's in the cups.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #3 
newbettaguy

thank you

no you are reading it incorrectly... I took the betta home in the cup he was in at the store... My friend had also bought a tiny .75 gal "betta tank" when she bought the fish. I filled the .75 gal tank with room temp tap water that was treated with Amquel and Novaqua and acclimated the betta to that the day I brought him home.. He was in the .75 gal tank for the two days... The water in the 2 gal tank is the same water that i used in the .75 gal tank except for the filtration plant and gravel in the 2 gal...

Hope that is a better scenario then him being in a bag for 2 days lol i did not mean to scare anyone with confusion lmao
Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh okay! Yeah that is a lot better since he was able to get at fresh air haha

The way you worded it sounded like you left him in the baggie for two days since you didn't mention the .7 gallon which is why I assumed lol
Old 04-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #5 
newbettaguy

so sorry... Im a bit of a fanatic when it comes to my pets care.... I was limited to a 2 gal hexagon tank due to budget... as in I spent my last $60 to get the 2 gal set up after reading this sites info on basic care. I had thought ... like most people do.... that u put a betta in a small bowl/tank and thats it...
Old 04-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No problem! And that's great that you read up on it as well! We all kind of start that way until we join or read forums like this! Great to hear :D
Old 04-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #7 
waterdog

$60 for a 2 gallon setup?

If I may, what did you get?
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #8 
newbettaguy

I got a 2 gallon hexagon tank that came with a filter, hood and day/night LED light... That was $24.99 at Petco, a Tetra HT10 submersable heater $17.99, a bag of gravel $4.99, a tiki statue $2.49, and a live plant $2.99 plus Ct state sales tax lol
Old 04-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #9 
waterdog

OHHHHH ok you were including everything in that. Sorry, I thought something else.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #10 
JellOh

Hikari is a great brand and he should be fine on the micro wafers, but you should try and flip him to the Betta pellets. Try slipping one in with the micro wafers. He might be having a hard time chewing the pellet; you can soak to pellet before feeding him to make it softer and easier to chew.

The best diet for a betta is variety. The more different foods you have the better.most people will feed their bettas live or frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp as treats. They do make freeze dried foods, but these have the nutritional value of a cardboard box. Most people will feed pellets 4 days a week, brine shrimp once, blood worms once, and then fast a day to clear out their digestive system. Good luck with your new friend :)
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote