Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #11 
waterdog

The two brands we recommend here are Omega One or New Life Spectrum. The ingredients are far and away the best.
I personally don't do the live food thing. Most experienced keepers only use them to bring bettas into breeding condition. Otherwise your pretty much just fouling the water and causing yourself added headaches and expense for little reward.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #12 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
OHHHHH ok you were including everything in that. Sorry, I thought something else.
I was thinking the same thing LOL

Too bad, I would have sent you my left over sand, would have been enough for a 2 gal hex.

What plant did you get? Petco is notorious for having non aquatic plants as aquatic plants.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #13 
newbettaguy

Ok everyone thanks very much... He seems very happy in his new home... I am currently restricting the input of the filter... he was working way too hard to get across the tank lol...

He finally ate the Bio-Gold pellets today after he ate 3 wafers... i stuck 2 pellets in and he ate them YAY.... I have seen the brine shrimp and blood worms frozen... the worms in a tiny cube and shrimp in a slab... that would last forever lol how do u feed it? thaw it first and put just a pinhead size piece in the tank?
newbettaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #14 
newbettaguy

I did not see Omega One and New Life Spectrum when I was searching the fish foods... I know several people including my brother who use Hikari for his Koi and they are very happy and healthy... I dont have the budget to go out and but all new food seeing the big bag of food I got was $8 and the wafers were $4 lol. ill look into it when I need to buy more unless my guy seems unhappy
Old 04-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #15 
Artemis

I recommend Omega One Betta Buffet, it is healthier then NLS (New Life Spectrum) IMO. You might need to crush the pellets a bit or take a pinch and find the smallest pellets.

You can decide which you prefer: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=152937
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #16 
NorthernLights

I second the recommendation for Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets or New Life Spectrum.

I think I know why you did not see those at Petco. They are not kept in the betta area (at least, not at any of the stores I have been to, and I have been to MANY!). You need to look over in the area where all the aquariums with the live fish are kept. There's an aisle near there that has many kinds of fish food. Both Omega One and NLS (make sure it's the betta formulas, both companies make other kinds of food) are usually on the top shelf, IIRC. You may need to ask an employee. Incidentally, that's also close to the area where you will find the better water conditioners like Prime and Stress Coat, as well as aquarium salt (usually they are on the next aisle).

The sad truth is that most other betta foods are garbage. Take a look at the packages of what you have. What's the first ingredient? If it is not a kind of fish or krill, or somesuch, it's not very good for them. Bettas are carnivores/insectovores in their natural habitat. Here's a tip to help you with costs: make sure to sign up for the Petco Pals rewards club. It's free, and they will send you coupons in your mail and email for like 10 or 20 percent off.

I am very happy you found this forum and good luck with your new finned friend!
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #17 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbettaguy View Post
I did not see Omega One and New Life Spectrum when I was searching the fish foods... I know several people including my brother who use Hikari for his Koi and they are very happy and healthy...
FYI.....Koi and bettas are two entirely different fish with different needs in different enviroments. Bettas are more carnivores, koi are more omnivores. (I keep both)
Just cause a betta isn't dead doesn't mean he is thriving. Case in point. I gave a VT to one of my coworkers that was very vibrant. (I wanted a crowntail). I set up her tank just like mine are set up. I change the water for her using my own RO water from home. Pretty much identical conditions. See got Aquecon food instead of the omega I use. The fish is swimming and healthy, but his colors have drastically faded and he is not as pretty as he was when I had him.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #18 
newbettaguy

I know Koi and bettas are two different types of fish... I was referenceing that my brothers koi which are fed Hikari KOI diet are thriving, reproducing, and the most vibrant koi i have seen in a home koi pond....

I am feeding Hikari BIO-GOLD betta pellets not Koi food... first ingredient is fish meal so im good there... if you all want to continue to tell me Petco has Those two foods then please come show me as I have been there several times looking. I appreciate the advice and hope you all realize there are more than 2 quality foods out there. But yes more are garbage than there are quality foods. Also you cant return food and I have spent all my cash upgrading him to his 2 gal home. I dont have any money to buy yet another food sorry

My guy is working on his bubble nest as I type this... so im guessing for now he is happy, active and as you can see his colors are stunning...
Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #19 
waterdog

WOW. OK so no advice is needed here. See ya!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #20 
newbettaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
WOW. OK so no advice is needed here. See ya!
Thats a strong reaction man... Look at how you came at me with your post. I have said several times petco here does not have those two foods... neither does the big local store with a HUGE fish department. They dont carry it sorry man.

Im sorry my post insulted you it wasnt my intent. I appreciate all advice.