Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Recommended Medicines?

I would like to have a list of a lot of recommended medicines and what they could be used for. Epsom and AQ salt would be included. I mainly want this list so I can then turn it into a priority list of medicines I need to buy, just so I can be prepared. The fish store is a long way away, and it's hard to get to sometimes when I'm low on gas. Petsmart doesn't always have the things I need, so I would like to be able to get everything soon to keep handy.
bettacrazygirl86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #2 
VJM

Absolutely get Kanaplex. Only available online, so you need to have it before the emergency arises.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
Absolutely get Kanaplex. Only available online, so you need to have it before the emergency arises.
What is Kanaplex used for?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #4 
VJM

To quote from Sakura8: This is kanamycin, a very good broad-spectrum antibiotic that absorbs well for system infections and is one of the best meds available for treating kidney infections and other systemic (internal) infections. However, this almost always has to be ordered online. amazon.com does carry it and another good source is www.drsfostersmith.com

Because it is broad spectrum, you will see it suggested for a myriad of problems. Usually, owners don't have it on hand and the wait to get it shipped can be fatal, and is always painful for all involved.

Most other stuff is available at Petco/smart/LFS, so you can pick it up as needed. Do take a look at the places near to you and see what they keep on hand.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #5 
kyle89

I do know to stay away from bettafix
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
To quote from Sakura8: This is kanamycin, a very good broad-spectrum antibiotic that absorbs well for system infections and is one of the best meds available for treating kidney infections and other systemic (internal) infections. However, this almost always has to be ordered online. amazon.com does carry it and another good source is www.drsfostersmith.com

Because it is broad spectrum, you will see it suggested for a myriad of problems. Usually, owners don't have it on hand and the wait to get it shipped can be fatal, and is always painful for all involved.

Most other stuff is available at Petco/smart/LFS, so you can pick it up as needed. Do take a look at the places near to you and see what they keep on hand.
Okay. I'll put that at the top of the priority list. What other medicines should I make sure to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
I do know to stay away from bettafix
I know. Anything with "fix" in it, I've heard is a no-no. What other things should I be sure to stay away from, too?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

I like to have Jungle fungus Eliminator on hand at all times. It has very similar ingredients to the maracyns, and is good for a very broad range of issues. It's got two antibiotics, and a potassium salt compound that is good for parasites and fungal infections. It's my go-to for treating just about everything.

In my opinion (and I'm not an expert by any means! :), I keep AQ salt, Epsom salt, Kanaplex, and Jungle Fungus Eliminator at all times. This way you've got your salts for minor stuff, you've got your good "cure-all" antibiotic/fungal tmt, and then your All Out kanaplex antibiotic for really nasty stuff. :)

One tip, only use the kanaplex if you really need it. Overuse can cause resistant bacteria. :) But, as far as I know, kanaplex is really the only possible treatment for serious things like dropsy and septicemia. :)

Oh, and if you're not using it already when you do water changes, a conditioner like stress coat or the Jungle dechlorinator with aloe in it, just because it's great to use when you're also using things like salt or have fin tears/ammonia burns/any skin irritation issues. :) And of course an extra heater (preferably adjustable, because some things need higher or lower temps during tmt), small QT containers that can be put in a larger container full of heated water; and plastic veggie wrap (an OFL rec.) to keep the water warm and the wrap to keep the humidity at the surface of the QT tank. :)

- Jungle Fungus Eliminator
- Kanaplex
- AQ Salt
- Epsom Salt
- Stress coat (or a dechlorinator with aloe)
- small QT containers and a larger QT container to heat the water and float the - smaller containers in (I like to have multiple QT containers, because it always seems that when it rains, it pours, and more than one will be sick at the same time)
- extra heater (preferably adjustable)
- veggie/saran plastic wrap
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #8 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
I like to have Jungle fungus Eliminator on hand at all times. It has very similar ingredients to the maracyns, and is good for a very broad range of issues. It's got two antibiotics, and a potassium salt compound that is good for parasites and fungal infections. It's my go-to for treating just about everything.

In my opinion (and I'm not an expert by any means! :), I keep AQ salt, Epsom salt, Kanaplex, and Jungle Fungus Eliminator at all times. This way you've got your salts for minor stuff, you've got your good "cure-all" antibiotic/fungal tmt, and then your All Out kanaplex antibiotic for really nasty stuff. :)

One tip, only use the kanaplex if you really need it. Overuse can cause resistant bacteria. :) But, as far as I know, kanaplex is really the only possible treatment for serious things like dropsy and septicemia. :)

Oh, and if you're not using it already when you do water changes, a conditioner like stress coat or the Jungle dechlorinator with aloe in it, just because it's great to use when you're also using things like salt or have fin tears/ammonia burns/any skin irritation issues. :) And of course an extra heater (preferably adjustable, because some things need higher or lower temps during tmt), small QT containers that can be put in a larger container full of heated water; and plastic veggie wrap (an OFL rec.) to keep the water warm and the wrap to keep the humidity at the surface of the QT tank. :)

- Jungle Fungus Eliminator
- Kanaplex
- AQ Salt
- Epsom Salt
- Stress coat (or a dechlorinator with aloe)
- small QT containers and a larger QT container to heat the water and float the - smaller containers in (I like to have multiple QT containers, because it always seems that when it rains, it pours, and more than one will be sick at the same time)
- extra heater (preferably adjustable)
- veggie/saran plastic wrap
That was really helpful! I have two QT tanks handy, although they're both occupied. One is occupied by my sister's ill betta and the other is my baby's new home until he grows enough to be included in the 10 gallon. I'm going to divide it into 3 3.3 gallon sections. I have one good adjustable heater (in the baby's tank). I plan on buying another 3 gallon KK for QTing and two more adjustable heaters. The QT tanks will be bare bottom and I have loads of decorations so they can still hide and stuff. I just need to get the meds and a test kit. :) The test kit is on the bottom of my list though. I've never had an issue with water quality and I keep it in tip top shape in my tanks. So I don't think it's entirely necessary to spend my money on a test kit when I would feel more comfortable with having important meds and heaters on hand.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Seachem paraguard for parasites. And kanaplex is sold at my lfs lol.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #10 
Blue Fish

You're so welcome, glad I could help!!

Yeah, I didn't get a test kit until I started cycling tanks. I kept up with water changes and watched my fish to make sure they seemed happy and healthy. :) In a perfect world wherein you could spend all the money you wanted it'd be great to have everything, but I'm with you, prioritizing is the way to go. :) If you think there's something going on with your water, you can just do a full change and fix it, but if you need heat or meds and don't have them, then you're sunk.

One thing, you don't have to do KK's or other "fish" bowls for QT's, containers like this work just as well:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...ister/16408650
and are quite a bit cheaper. (these are $3 at my local walmart, so I've got three of them currently QT'ing females for a sorority)
I've got all three sitting in a larger Rubbermaid tub with the heater in it right now. :)

Remember, if it's food safe, it's fish safe. :)

I agree, I like bare bottom QT tanks, makes life so much easier. :) I also like to have some extra plants on hand for the QT's, just so that they can float on them near the surface if they want, and to provide lots of cover while they're not feeling so hot. :) Silk plants from walmart work great for this, as they're really cheap, so you can get plenty of them. :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Artificial...range/23623708
You can usually get bunches of stuff like this for a dollar. They may not be the prettiest, but bettas don't care, and they're just in your QT's anyway. :)

Last edited by Blue Fish; 04-08-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote