Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #1 
NozzALa

New Betta tank.

Hey guys, I already have one Betta and he is in a 3 gallon tank. He seems to have plenty of room to swim around and is very active. I want to get one more Betta at some point and I was just wondering what the best tanks were at roughly the same size. I prefer 3-4 gallons due to space, I live in a smallish apartment so I want to get him something decent sized but not too big, and I don't want two identical tanks. Lowest i would go is probably 2.5, 5 gallons at most. Hopefully somewhere in the middle. Any suggestions would be awesome.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

There are lots of options but we don't know what you currently have. Is it rectangle, octagon, cresent? I have a Top Fin 5.5g rectangular which I love, I also have Marineland Crescent 5g which I also love. Additionally the fish seem happy. Here are links to both:

Top Fin 5.5g
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Marineland Crescent 5g

I have sponge filters in both tanks.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #3 
NozzALa

Thanks for the links. My current Betta is in a 3 gallon that I got at Walmart. It's cylindrical with an under gravel filter. It's not as big as some people on here would like but he seems happy and is very active, I never see him lethargic or stressed. Im just looking for something different for the new betta whenever I get the funds to get him and his setup. Thanks for the options. I like the overall look of the 5.5 quite a bit.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #4 
bettacrazygirl86

An alternative route you could go is a divided tank. Petco has a 6.6 bookshelf tank, which when divided, would give each betta 3.3 gallons. I have a 10 gallon divided tank, currently divided in half so each betta has 5 gallons, but I have a baby waiting to be big enough to move in, so it would be divided again and each betta would have 3.3 gallons. Though I plan on giving my older male 3.4, which isn't much more, but is just a little bigger. He gets more space because he's easily 3 times the size of my other betta that's already sharing the tank with him. :)

Depending on what tank you already have, there are a lot of options. One tank I recommend is a Marina 360 degree tank. It's 2.65 gallons, so it is on the smaller size, but it looks gorgeous and my betta loved it. I also use Kritter Keepers as tanks. My baby betta currently lives in one. My LFS had a 4 gallon drum bowl. It's huge! It looks very cool once it's set up. It looks like a typical "goldfish" bowl, but it's 4 gallons rather than 1 like the typical "goldfish" bowls. I have pictures of all of my tanks, if you would like to see them.

I really recommend either the Marina, 4 gallon drum, or a divided tank. The Marina is small and takes up little space. The drum bowl is huge but takes up little space. A divided tank would take up the least amount of space, as you could put both fish in one tank with a divider. It would mean you only have one tank to care for, and you don't have two tanks in different places, taking up space. :) Unless you're like me and figure that having a divided tank frees up the old one, and the tank simply looks empty without a fish in it. I wound up buying a baby.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #5 
NozzALa

I really appreciate the info. At some point I may end up getting a divided tank, but the Marina sounds very intriguing. Any idea where I could find one of those?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #6 
waterdog

I have the marineland hex 5 and IMO it is the best betta tank I own. I intend on trying the new 3 gallon cresent my next time out!

waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #7 
NozzALa

Thank you, I need all the input I can get.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

I also had a marineland hex, which is nice cause it has a good light, and biowheel filter built into the hood. However, personally I did not like the tank - nothing wrong with the tank itself, I just didn't like the hex design. With all the sides, it seems to distort the view a bit. Plus I dont like tall tanks. However, if you only have a small amount of space - they are a good choice. Anyways, it ended up getting busted when I moved out of Alaska so I got a normal rectangle 5G from petco.

I also had an aqueon bowfront. It found it at a 2nd hand shop for $12. Not sure if it was a 5G or 2.5G - it was a few years ago. Other then being a bit scrateced up, I liked it.

EDIT - it looks a bit small for a 5G but they do come in that size.

Sadly, I killed the fish by listining to some idiot at petco who told me to never change the water if you have a filter. That and I didnt know about water conditioner. ALaska water was nasty to drink, probably not to good for a fish to live in either.

Here is my hex - sort of, on the right. One on the left is a hawkeye 1G.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-16-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #9 
NozzALa

Thanks for the pics. I like the look of the first one, it's one of the types I've been looking at.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #10 
VJM

I have a standard Petco 2.5g, an Evolve 4, and a Deep Blue Professional Betta 5. They all have their pros and cons. I really like the length and shallowness of the DBP. The Evolve keeps everything contained in the rear sump, for a cleaner looking tank (also, it was inexpensive), but the light probably isn't going to be strong enough for my plants. The 2.5 with a CFL desk light is my easiest tank, just chugs along. However, I think it is a bit small and am looking at 6 gallons for an upgrade.

http://www.allpet.com/detail.asp?product_id=523100

http://www.petco.com/product/117467/...arium-Kit.aspx
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote