Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #41 
bannlow2471

Picasso, thank you so much for your reply. They ARE both very small, especially Clementine ... but at least where Bettina is concerned, she is so vigorous, and full of personality and life. She really is adorable. Clementine is, also, but it just breaks my heart to see her so ... well, I don't know what. I really do believe she is ill, but nothing I'm doing seems to be working, and I've been trying to get in touch with a fish vet for the last couple of days - started trying over the weekend, no luck, so yesterday I filled out the new patient form on their website and sent that in, and I keep trying the phone # but no one ever answers. From the website it looks like they travel to people's houses which would make sense since fish are not that easy to take to the vet, but it's really upsetting and frustrating to me that no one will call me back. I just don't want her to be suffering, and my gut is telling me that she is. If something can be done to help her, I want to do it, but if not then I want someone to help her go. Meanwhile, if anyone has any idea of anything else I can do to help her, I am open to any suggestions. Here's what I've done so far:

She's in a hospital tank (1 gallon but filled up only halfway so that she can get to the bottom for food and to the top for air. I'm on Day 3 of Kanaplex treatment. Temp is at 82 degrees and steady. Ammonia and nitrites are at 0 ppm. (Using Prime water conditioner.) I've been soaking the food in Seachem Garlic Guard (for her frozen food) and I did try blowing the pellets across the surface last night, but no luck with that. I honestly think maybe she isn't blind but ill.

Is there anything I'm not doing that I could do while I wait for these stupid vets to call me back?
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #42 
bannlow2471

Sad news to report this morning ... little Clementine passed sometime in the night, and was gone when I woke up this morning to check on her. I tried in vain to get in touch with an aquatic vet, called several stores, etc. all of whom said they treat the fish themselves if they are ill. The aquatics vet in a neighboring town never did call me back, and even though rationally I know I did everything I could, everything I knew to to do, I still feel so guilty. This little life was in my care, and I feel as though I failed her. SIP, Clementine.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #43 
Shadyr

You gave her a home and cared about her, which is more than a lot of bettas will get. I'm sorry that happened, but it was a nicer end to the story than "died in a cup."

I have to admit, my orange girl Tangerine is one of my favorites

I didn't see your original post, but if you ever feel up to the sorority, it's very worthwhile! It gives me a little internal *squee* to go up to the tank and have all my girls come swimming up to greet me! (Ok, I think they mostly come up to see if they are going to get more food, but that's OK too
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #44 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

S.I.P. Clementine and you did not fail her. As Shadyr said, it was a good ending to the story. I would much rather a Betta die in my care (although it doesn't feel great) and to know they had a good last bit to their life than sitting in a cup in a cold store for the remaining time! You really did do everything you could for her and I'm sure she's swimming under the rainbow bridge now, thanking you for a good ending. :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #45 
bannlow2471

Thank you very much for the kind words ... I appreciate it. I think my guilt comes from having seen her at the store a full week before I actually ended up taking her home, and maybe if I hadn't hesitated, that would have made the difference. Either way, I did everything I could, and I guess that has to be enough. I do have tank space, though, and I think I will maybe look for another little girl in the next couple of weeks.

I do still want to try a sorority one day, but probably not for awhile.