Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #1 
OscarCrowntailBetta

Possible fin rot!!! Please help!!

I recently got a male crowntail betta about 3 weeks ago but I just now found out about the signs of fin rot. He has no browning or frail ing but he has small white and bluish tips on his fins. He is red with blue on his body and lives in a 2 gallon tank with no filter. I change the water once a week and I don't feed him much. I feed him pellets and betta min tropical medley. Again I'm not sure if he has fin rot because he is not showing all the signs!! Please help!!!
OscarCrowntailBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #2 
Roemgie

Do you have pictures that you could post?

And I would suggest for food wise New Life Spectrum and frozen blood worms (thawed before fed of course)

But with a 2 gallon tank you might want to change the water every 4-5 days instead of every 7. Also if you don't have a filter his immune system will be lowered
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #3 
OscarCrowntailBetta

I do have pictures ready but do you know how to post them?? I just joined today by the way. I will think of feeding him that type of food and changing his water more often. What do you recommend for the treatment if he does have fin rot??
Old 04-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #4 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarCrowntailBetta View Post
I do have pictures ready but do you know how to post them?? I just joined today by the way. I will think of feeding him that type of food and changing his water more often. What do you recommend for the treatment if he does have fin rot??

For pictures put them on photobucket than click on the direct link under the share button then come here and click on the little box with a mountain on it (above) and copy the direct link into there and it'll pop up.
Ok sometimes it's not actually fin rot but could be 'tail biting' (if you haven't seen it that's probably not it) or just stress and he may not have had a change to heal.
Epsom salt is a good thing to use and you can do 2 teasponns per gallon (maybe just put 3 teaspoons since you only have a 2 gallon tank).

Do you have a heater? Because he probably won't get better until his water is at the right temperature
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi... the easiest way to post a picture is to:
1) Click the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the reply box.
2) When the new window opens, click the "paperclip" icon. It's on the top row of icons, 5th from the right.
3) You can upload a file directly from your computer. If the file is too large though, you won't be able to load it. Either reduce the file size, or first upload the photo to your personal Album and link to it from there.

Some questions for you:
a) What is the water temp? Do you have a heater?
b) Do his fins just have white and bluish colored tips? If so, this indicates new growth. (Not fin rot.)
c) If the fin tips are dark or discolored or "smudgy" looking, this could indicate fin rot.

It sounds from your description that this is just new growth, which is fine.

I recommend increasing your water changes though. A two gal tank with no filter should get one 100% and one 50% water change per week. This is especially important if you think he might be battling fin rot.

The best way to treat, and to prevent, fin rot is to keep him in warm, clean water.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #6 
OscarCrowntailBetta

Thank you for both of your help!! I have no heater but the water is room temperature which is 78-80 degrees. Yes he only has the blue and white tips on his fins so I do think it might be new growth like you said. I'm defiantly going to get the bloodworms, heater,and new life spectrum. Do any of you think it would be okay if I got the heater but no filter since I'm going to be changing the water more often?? I'm going to watch him over the next few days to see if any brown spots appear on his fins and tail and go from there.also I haven't noticed any tail biting ( unless I wasn't watching a lot) so I don't think it's that. I will post the pictures tomorrow afternoon as soon as I get home and my computer is fully charged!!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #7 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarCrowntailBetta View Post
Thank you for both of your help!! I have no heater but the water is room temperature which is 78-80 degrees. Yes he only has the blue and white tips on his fins so I do think it might be new growth like you said. I'm defiantly going to get the bloodworms, heater,and new life spectrum. Do any of you think it would be okay if I got the heater but no filter since I'm going to be changing the water more often?? I'm going to watch him over the next few days to see if any brown spots appear on his fins and tail and go from there.also I haven't noticed any tail biting ( unless I wasn't watching a lot) so I don't think it's that. I will post the pictures tomorrow afternoon as soon as I get home and my computer is fully charged!!
One thing to note is that water is about 7 degrees and more below room temperature so unless you have your home at 88 or so degrees his water temperature will be way to low.

Also a way to spot new fin growth is if it looks like fin but is clear. Like it hasn't gotten its color. But if it looks sickly than it defiantly could be fin rot.

Despite what people say a filter does nothing unless your tank is cycled so dont waste your money! All you'll need is a heater and those two foods :)

And he's probably not a tail bitter because from what I hear its pretty obvious.

But all you need to do is (a chart of the week)

Sunday - either do a 100% water change Sunday or
Monday -
Tuesday -
Wednesday - 50% water change
Thursday -
Friday -
Saturday - do a 100% water change Saturday

I had it that I did a 100% every Sunday and Thursday for my 2.5 and I had two boys.

But good luck and I cannot wait to see pictures! I'll see if I can find a picture of when my boy got his new finage!

also the best heater to get is the Aqueon heaters with the dials! They're on the expensive side but they are the most reliable ones out there! It's the only heater I will ever use from now on!! I'll post a link to them on amazon in a minute
Old 04-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

I have four 3 gal tanks that are heated, and are not filtered.

Depending on where you live, and your house temperature, you may need a heater, or you may not. If your home temperature fluctuates, a heater will help maintain a consistent water temp.

I suggest getting a Floating Glass Thermometer so you can monitor the water temp. (Don't get the one that sticks to the outside of the tank.) They cost $2.99 at Petsmart and Petco, and about $1.60 at Walmart. By using this, you'll be able to monitor your water temp.

Bettas generally prefer water temps of 76-84F, with about 79F being considered 'ideal.' Some fish prefer it a bit warmer, others a bit cooler.

An unfiltered two gal tank will need two water changes per week, as Roemgie described. I generally do a 100% on the weekend, and one 50% midweek.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #9 
OscarCrowntailBetta

The pictures are on my profile and sorry if they are low quality but I will try to take better ones. It's hard to catch him when he's not swimming around!! I'm glad about the filter because most of them break with my past experiences with guppies and tetras!! I do live in a warm climate almost all year round but I will get everything needed. (2 types of food,heater,more frequent water changes, and a thermometer) would it still be okay if I maybe forgot about one of the water changes because that might happen before I get into the routine. Do I really need a heater if my climate is hot and the temperature doesn't change that much? I can't wait to see any pictures of roemigie's betta.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #10 
Roemgie

http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=33488

Ok here's a link to Rodger, if you look you can see the new fin growing :) I'm going to look at your pictures now and also a heater is the best thing for them because they need a hotter temperature than we're willing to live in and it'll help him not have to go through the stress of temperature changes.
Also it can be ok but not advised, the moment you remember do at least a 50%

Tags
health fin rot sick