Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #11 
Wildbetta

Littlebettafish -- I have had two other members of the unimaculata complex already, Betta Ocellata and Betta Macrostoma. My very first wild bettas were betta ocellata and I had 3 that I raised from 3 month old juvie size. I lost my two males to jumping and my female I lost recently from a bout of columnaris brought on by stress from a busted heater(which is what also took out my breeding pair of betta macrostoma and a pair of betta pugnax). I want betta pallifina but haven't found anyone in the US that is breeding them to buy or trade for them. I am almost to the point of have some transhipped in. I really like the "attitude" of the unimac juvies and my ocellatas over my macs although the macs were beautiful. I am pretty sure the two biggest of the unimac juvies are M/F but I am waiting a little longer to be sure.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #12 
Wildbetta

Mattsbetta -- I recommend albimarginata especially for a first wild betta. They are such fun and really are easy breeders once they are happy. They are nice and small so you can fit them into a smaller tank than some of the other wilds plus their colors when in breeding mode are gorgeous and somewhat unexpected. The "sister" species betta channoides is the same way and looks extremely similar to the albimarginata. They are probably going to be the next wild that I get to tell ya the truth.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I boiled my macrostoma pair when my heater carked it.

They are maniac jumpers. I lost my unimaculata female to jumping and the father unimaculata has shown his juveniles how to go up and down really fast along the back wall of the tank so I have to have that covered with cling wrap and a glass lid to stop them getting out.

Yeah it is hard sourcing wilds sometimes. I am after a pair of coccina and tussyae but I think it is going to be ages before I can get them here in Australia.

I also think albis are excellent first time bettas. I always recommend them for anyone wanting to dip their toe into wilds.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #14 
Wildbetta

My 2 boys in my 2 boys' room. :)

Jumpers is right. My female ocellata jumped from the tank twice and I was luckily down in the area when she did it both times. The males I was not so lucky with and found both of them all the way across the room. The unimaculata juvies have given me some jumping scares already when switching tanks -- they would jump from the net. One of them got underneath one of the stands and I didn't think I was going to get it back out. The biggest advice I can give people about wild bettas is completely cover your tanks. Any hole will become an escape hatch no matter how small it seems.

Last edited by Wildbetta; 04-15-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #15 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Very nice. Also why I stay away from rose tails (I have one that I want to breed- but I would need a perfect female). They look great but unfortunately it's not the greatest for the fish. And I was pretty much some on albimarginata, but you guys made it 100%! When the time comes I will have a few questions for you two!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #16 
Wildbetta

LOL For some that follow and read Mattsbettas statement about the rosetail -- I accidentally posted about my splenden males on this post and then moved it to its correct post.

Mattsbettas -- Definitely will help when you decide to get your own albimarginata. I know a guy in Canada that is currently breeding betta channoides and he might end up with some albimarginata by the time you are ready to get some. Which might make it easier to get some. Sorry about moving the other post -- I didn't realize I hadn't saved it before coming back to this thread and it moved all that into this thread for some reason.