Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, size of an eraser amount

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? the first day of every month
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?easy balance, and algae control all by tetra, i just got melafix fish first aid and used it just yesterday. The water i use is tap, i let it sit for weeks to clean it and sometimes i'll use clorout.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? darker head
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He will go up to the top and get air and go hid, he hasn't eaten in 3 DAYS!!!! and i'm getting scared
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 4 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Melafix first aid, i wanted to do salt but i couldn't find any.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? a year a 2 months
What is going on with Mr. Finny????
I put him in a smaller tank, 1.5 gal. i covered the top with cling wrap to keep in moisture and have it warm, he has been leaning on his side, but i know it isn't constipation because he hasn't eaten in 4 days!! I'm getting hopeless, anyone with different ideas??
FishyFloorzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Pictures?

His temp should be between 76 and 86 degrees. While treating the majority of illnesses, aim for 80 degrees.

A once a month water change is not enough AT ALL. In a 2.5, I would take the filter out (nearly impossible to cycle and creates to much water movement in a small tank.). Do three water changes a week, two 50% and one 100%. Add a water conditioner like prime.

Bloodworms are not an acceptable staple food. Use omega one or new life spectrum instead. If this is constipation (which it still could be... Despite him not eating, in fact that could be a symptom.)

Stop using melafix ASAP. It can suffocate them. Aquarium salt is available at pretty much any store.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

I honestly don't know what could be wrong with him, but I have to say, the temperature, food, water changes, and additives are a problem, most likely.

The ideal temperature range for a betta is 78 degrees to 84 degrees. Some bettas like warmer, some like cooler. My female betta likes 80 degrees while my male likes 84 degrees. It depends on the betta. 75 degrees is probably too low.

Bloodworms, both frozen and freeze dried, aren't really the best food for a betta. They need pellet food. For example, I feed my bettas 6 pellets a day. 3 in the morning and 3 at night. I feed them Omega One Marine Pellets and they love them.

In a 2.5 gallon tank, regardless of whether it's filtered or not, one water change a month is way too little. I have a 10 gallon tank and I do weekly changes. With the 2.5 gallon tank I used to have, I did two water changes a week. I did one 50% water change on Mondays and a 100% on Fridays. With fewer water changes, ammonia can build up in the water and potentially kill him.

Also, the water additives you said you add aren't really all that necessary. You just need something to take all of the harmful metals and chlorine out of the water. I use Seachem Prime for my bettas, but my sisters use Aqua Safe+. We don't add anything else to the water. With more frequent water changes, you won't even need the algae control.

I would try to get a better heater, preferably adjustable. I would also find him pellet food. Omega One and New Life Spectrum are the best, I've heard. Both brands have Betta formulas in the form of pellets. Make sure you look for pellets, and not flakes. I almost bought flakes on accident one time. Also, try to establish a water change schedule like I said I did before. Look for a different kind of water conditioner like Prime or Aqua Safe+ to use. All you have to do is put the tap water in the tank, add in the appropriate amount of conditioner, and acclimate your fish. You don't need to let the tap water sit for a while, because it really doesn't do anything other than let dust collect in it, which is pretty nasty.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #4 
FishyFloorzack

I'm a noob but how do you add pictures?
My list for next time out of the store; better food, water conditioner, and a heater i can change the heat. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #5 
FishyFloorzack

These are of his mouth, that looks well, sideways...this isn't his normal tank nor do i but that awful light on, i used it just to get lighting on him!
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Great advise I hope you follow all it because the best thing to keep your Betta healthy is conditioned warm and clean water. If you get the Prime water conditioner and I hope you do its only 2 drops per gallon. Good luck I hope your guy feels better soon and dont forget to get him some Omega One of New Life Spectrum Betta pellets and feed him twice a day in the mornings give him 3 or 4 pellets and the same at night.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #7 
FishyFloorzack

is his mouth okay? maybe that's why he isn't eating?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Looks ok to me. For now all I would suggest is getting his water clean and warm and going from there.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #9 
bettacrazygirl86

His mouth honestly looks fine to me... Is that the only physical difference in him, other than his head being darker than normal?

What store do you go to? Petsmart? Or Petco? You MIGHT have to get a heater online that will fit in his tank. I highly recommend against buying a Top Fin heater. If it can fit in your tank (may need to measure to be sure), I recommend an Aqueon heater. They're adjustable and work great. I love mine. Plus, it has a life time warranty. :)

Petsmart sells Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets AND Flakes. Make sure you get the pellets. It's easy to confuse them, so make sure you read the labels. I almost bought the flakes by accident. I THINK Petsmart MIGHT have New Life Spectrum, but I'm not sure. Petco has it for sure. Petco also has Omega One. Make sure the food you get is make for bettas. The food I feed my bettas isn't for bettas, but it has a lot of whole fish in it, so it's okay for them. If you can find it, Omega One Marine Pellets (With Garlic) is what I get for my bettas. They LOVE this stuff. Make sure they're small pellets though. Mine says "small pellets" around the can thing. They're just the right size. :)

As far as the conditioner goes, every store I've been to has Seachem Prime. It's in a red and white bottle. Make sure you shake it really well before you use it and make sure you read how much you put in the tank! You shouldn't need all that much. I'm not quite sure on the dosage for a 2.5, so you'll have to do some math to figure it out.

Those recommendations are basically what everyone else on the site would recommend. :) Aside from the heater, that is. I'm speaking from experience. I love the Aqueon heater, and I haven't used anything but Omega One, NLS, and Prime since I first bought them.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #10 
FishyFloorzack

This isn't his tank it's just his "when he was a baby" tank. But i can't thank you enough!