Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #1 
Indigo Betta

Question what are these worms?

what do these worms look like? i've had them since november, they came in with some live daphnia from the pond, just lately its suddenly turned into a infestation also i saw a very long worm on the betta yesterday

i haven't been over feeding my betta or been doing anything differently.

i'm worried because yesterday my betta was coming up for air more than he normally does, and looked a bit stressed but he's back to normal now maybe he just swallowed something when he was taking air and was choking? but i'm worried the worms are to blame
but why would they be harming him so long after they were introduced to the tank?
Attached Images

Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I also had those in my 3 gallon last week, I haven't looked since but my betta in there is also having a difficult time breathing. I gave him some more water sprite to sit on so he didn't have to go so far which seemed to help a bit.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #3 
Indigo Betta

anyone have any idea what they are? because i'm considering medicating the water but i'm not even sure what medication would work on these or what would be safe, salt doesn't have any effect on on them.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #4 
Bowser416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Betta View Post
anyone have any idea what they are? because i'm considering medicating the water but i'm not even sure what medication would work on these or what would be safe, salt doesn't have any effect on on them.
Looks like nematodes. Ive had a few in my 5 gallon, but never so much I felt it was an outbreak. Not sure what having too many will do, my betta eats them when they wiggle around. I was worried at first but he still hasnt had any health issues
Bowser416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #5 
Indigo Betta

nematodes they can be either harmless or parasitic according to this page i found on them,

http://www.oscarfish.com/article-hom...s-in-tank.html

it says they can be treated with Materpet CureEx but i can't even find that on amazon
what else would kill nematodes?
my betta has no interest in eating them.

Last edited by Indigo Betta; 04-16-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:47 AM   #6 
stuntman2946

dang i just saw one of these things in my tank today, dipped it out with a net tho
stuntman2946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #7 
isochronism

You can probably suck them out with a turkey baster. I use one when I see a small pond snail.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #8 
Myates

Planaria.. very common in larger tanks, usually they are around when there is a build up of too much waste/plant matter/food.. make sure to do weekly vacuuming real good. They are a sign of poor water quality, not enough substrate cleaning.. up your water changes and keep up on the vacuuming and you should see a decline in numbers. No other way to get rid of them.

They are harmless, just annoying and ugly to look at. You are just being overly aware of your fish right now because you see those, they won't make your fish need to breathe more, etc. It's (sorry) just in your head most likely.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #9 
Indigo Betta

but they don't look like Planaria, i've googled Planaria and non of the images looked like them, and in this link http://www.oscarfish.com/article-hom...s-in-tank.html.

Last edited by Indigo Betta; 04-16-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #10 
HMBbetta

I just got those in my tank. They came in on a petco plant, because I don't even have my fish yet. I think they are called detritus worms. Not harmful to fish or humans, from what I've read. I'm going to be doing extra vacuuming to try to get rid of them.
HMBbetta is offline   Reply With Quote