This has been going on for a couple months now, but recently it has been getting worse. I have this dark green algae growing on my tank filter cartridge and now on my sand (it's a more gritty form of sand tho) I always have my tank light on to heat his tank, so it kinda seems like the perfect conditions for algae right? I should also mention his tank doesn't have a filter cover. And I have an Apple snail (with research I found out they LOVE algae) -and I carefully watch it so it doesn't escape- and put it on my filter cartridge to eat the algae. It overflows because the algae has clogged up the cartridge so my snail still has water and it a flat cartridge so you can see it from above. It seemed like a good idea. The snail was chowing down, getting plenty of nutrition, and it was great.But the more the snail ate of it, the faster the algae regrew. I had to SCRUB the filter cartridge to get just a little bit of the algae off. I don't even know if that's enough to get the water to actually filter and not just overflow... I really need help on this before it hurts my fish! (if it will)
Also, I would post pics of the sand, but i recently cleaned it -bad timing-
Another thing is that I just scrubbed it before I took those pictures so it's not really that "clean" and If you look at were the actual filter is supposed to flow out, it's barely dripping.
I will post a pic below:
Last edited by alwaysaBettaLover; 04-01-2013 at 07:26 PM.
You'll have to reduce the lighting or get the right kind of snail. What size tank is this? The light shouldn't be your main way of heating the tank. Do you have a heater in it? If not I'd purchase an adjustable one to keep the temp more stable. The lights should only be on 8-10 hrs each day. You can try having the lights on for 4 hrs then off for 2 & then back on for 4. This is said to interrupt some process the algae needs.
You need a heater and I'd get a light timer and leave them on for 8 hours a day.
You can take it out and rinse it in a bucket of dechlorinated water. Having the lights on all the time is bad, not just because of algae, but because your fish needs sleep and doesn't have algae! Constant light can be stressful.
Also, do you have a thermometer in the tank? It looks like you have an incandescent hood. The fact that the light heats the water is concerning because it will cause temp spikes.
I would probably get an adjustable heater for the tank and find a way to keep the light from affecting the water temp. Make sure that they tank is covered so that the fish can't jump out, though. It might work to prop up the tank lid a bit and cover the tank with plastic craft mesh or something.
Also, make sure that you do not rinse the filter media in untreated tap water as it will kill your good bacteria and cause a mini cycle that can be detrimental to the fish (if the tank is cycled).
Edit: I forgot to mention that fish food an poo that decomposes often causes algae. If you have live plants, you don't have enough. I would make sure that no fish food falls and that you siphon the debris out really well, but your biggest problem is the lights being on too long. It might help to turn them on for a very short time for awhile until the algae gets under control. Cleaning out the algae should help.
Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 04-01-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Ok. yeah and also recently there has been algae growing on the tank walls and the sand is getting worse. I covers the filter with tin foil so the algae level there has gone down drasticly. I only have one apple snail, but the algae is too much for just one. I can't get another one for several reasons: first, I'm afraid there will be snail babies everywhere and second, I don't really have the time to go to my pet store to get them. I think once the algae goes down, my snail will be able to maintain it. But for now... not so much. I was watching my snail pick up some of the sand algae, and I could've sworn - maybe not- I saw the algae immediately grow back. My poor snail is going as fast as it can!!! I know it's not life threatening, but I can't help but be worried. Also, I have only had this tank for a couple months - being 6 or 7- so is that usually when algae is usually seen on tank walls???
I don't know, I just know that several things cause it, but usually its just too much light and excess nutrients (plant ferts or fish food and poo). You could probably try placing craft mesh under the hood to try and filter some light out.
I hear Nerite snails are good at cleaning up algae and they can't breed in freshwater.