Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #1 
shinitakin

Not eating much and sluggish

My betta has been acting very sluggish for the past week. Originally, I thought that he was upset about the filter's current being too strong, but even after I took it out, he still behaved the same way. Usually, when I tap the top of the tank, he'll swim up curiously and jumps for food, but now he barely pays attention to anything other than resting. Any ideas of what is causing this?

Housing

What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 74-76 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? N/A

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One/Hikari pellets and FD bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 (afternoon), 2 (night), 3 worms per week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%, 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle Start Right

Water Parameters

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
N/A

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He used to be a bluish purple to red, but now his color is a little more faded and a solid light purple.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Barely eating, not excited about anything, and does not move about much.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A bit more than a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Well, I took out the filter to see if a calmer surface would make him more comfortable. It did for a bit, but he's back to hiding and resting again.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had an issue with tailbiting and not eating when I first brought him home, but haven't had any other major problems since November.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him since mid November, but I'm not sure how old that makes him.
shinitakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

the water is on the cool side. see if you can bring it up more.. preferably to around 80F
other than the faded colors are there any other physical symptoms that you can see?
Have you been cleaning out the substrate?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #3 
shinitakin

Okay, I'll bump up the heater a bit more. My only problem is that I don't think the heater is properly dispersing the heat throughout the water evenly. This is why I had the filter running, previously. Because I do have it set to 80F, and I know that the side the heater is on is warmer than the side the thermometer is on.

I don't think there are any other physical changes. He was biting his tail earlier, and I had him in some AQ salt for a few days, but that's about it, I think...

Yes, I do clean the gravel every weekend during the 100% changes.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #4 
shinitakin

Bumped the temp up a little bit, but still hiding in between the leaves and very slow. :(

Here are some more recent pictures of him. Does anyone see any physical issues with him?

The tank setup:

My betta:

Last edited by shinitakin; 04-16-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

XD Nostrils!!!!
He looks a little skinny... what color is his poo?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #6 
shinitakin

Ahh yes! The arrows weren't pointing at his nostrils, but at the little white patches by them. Is that just the coloring or is it something else? The poop is brownish; it looks like it's always been.

Oh! Have I been underfeeding him, then? I'll try to give him a bit more, but I don't know how well that's going to work out because he's been so slow and hasn't had too much interest in eating.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

If there is no physical symptoms and the water parameters is perfect then it is probably an internal problem.

Try an epsom salt treatment at 1-3teaspoons per gallon...
I wouldn't force feed him if he is unwilling to eat...