Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #1 
Sapphire

Help me stop Betta Cruelty at my school!

I'm sorry, I didn't know where else to post this.

Every year the freshmen at my high school partake in this project called the "Eco-Bottle" where they create a miniature ecosystem using two 1 liter soda bottles. On the bottom half of the soda bottle, they place water, plants, and a Betta fish.
The duration of the project run for about two weeks or so, and during that time they are not allowed to change the water because they are studying the cycles (ammonia, nitrate, etc.) They are fed the proper amount of pellets each day. After the project is completed, the students are allowed to take their Betta home.

I am not going to lie to you and say that I did not partake in this project in the past- I did. This was before I started to look up the proper care for Betta to ensure mine would be happy. Now that the freshmen at my school are beginning this project again, I realize how wrong this is and how cruel the treatment of these Betta are.

I did not want to attach the pictures I took of them because I did not want to distress those who wished not to see them.
If you would like to take a look at the treatment of these Betta, here is a link of them I posted on my tumblr:

http://lostwithamy.tumblr.com/post/4...r-the-freshmen

Every day I go to the back of the classroom to see how they're doing, and every day they seem to be getting worse. One Betta in particular has gotten mild Fin Rot, while another looks to have Swim Bladder.

Please help me stop this project from using Betta fish, or any other fish, in the nearby future! I have created an online petition if you wish to sign:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/533/1...ottle-project/

I've already gotten more than half I aimed at due to the amazing response from the Betta tag on tumblr, but I feel like I have to do more.

When I reach enough signatures, I am going to send an e-mail to the teachers in charge of the project in hopes that they will stop this animal cruelty.

I also want to send testimonials from other Betta owners, so if you want to help me further, I would greatly appreciate a testimonial from some of y'all! Please type it up in a Word Document and send it to my email at: Pandagirl007@hotmail.com

I ask that if you do want to send a testimonial, please do not let any anger or other emotions get the best of you. I wish for these to be respectful, most of the teachers do not know much of Betta, they just need to be informed. I have tried to inform them in person of the proper way to treat Betta, but it does not get through to them. I am hoping some testimonials will make them realize just what it is they are doing.

Thank you for taking the time to read. I hope you choose to help me in this journey to stop the cruel treatment of Betta in my school.
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #2 
registereduser

How strange. The teachers are supposed to understand what they are teaching, right? Then why don't they understand what ammonia, etc. can do to a fish? Must be they just don't care.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Could you secretly change the water? To be honest I care more about the fish then their dumb experiment.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #4 
Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Could you secretly change the water? To be honest I care more about the fish then their dumb experiment.
I wish I could! The way they have the bottles set up is that the top is taped to the bottom, so removing it would take forever! (This also makes me raised the question as to how they're getting any air!)
The only time I'm in their classroom is during my AP Environmental Science class, and the bottles are way in the back of the classroom while I'm way in the front :[
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #5 
popcorndeer

why are they mean to the cute little bettas?
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Do you wear glasses?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ok that sounds really weird but if you do you could "forget" them one day and tell them that you are farsighted and will see better at the back, then loosen the tape, and later try to change it... Or you could complain and see how they react, tell them that it is cruel...
Old 03-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #8 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Do you wear glasses?
huh?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #9 
kelikani

Signed the petition. Thank you for trying all you can to save those poor things!
kelikani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #10 
Indigo Betta

i've signed it too, i really hope you can help them.
Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote