Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #1 
twoshihpoos

Question about filter for my *future* betta

Hello everyone!

This is my first post - I'm new to all of this so please bear with me.

I would like to start a small aquarium and get a betta fish. I didn't want to jump into it without research first to make sure it's really something I want and can do... so, so far I have only purchased a small tank decoration to look at and keep me happy as I continue my research - LOL.

I have decided to get either a 10 or 20 gallon tank (probably a 10 to start with) and am looking at the Penguin Bio Wheel.

I know that this wheel hangs over the outside of the tank...... but, does that mean that it is only compatible with certain hoods? When I think of a hood, it's the standard black hood with a light so I can't imagine where this filter would fit and still have the hood on!

A silly question, I'm sure.. thanks to anyone who can explain this :)
twoshihpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #2 
ErinBBC

I bought a 5 gallon tank that came with a Bio Wheel and I wasn't able to use it...it created too much current for my betta and he was always struggling - they prefer calm water with little to no movement. Also the hood mounted set up mine came with didn't leave enough surface area at the top of the tank, which bettas require because they have an organ that always them to gulp oxygen from the surface air.

However, a ten gallon tank might be different. Since all bettas have their own tolerances, you may have to try a couple of filters until you get one you like a lot.
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #3 
Ariel

With a ten gal tank you can get more than just one betta. If you are interested in more fish, you can either house 3 females (not 2) or 1 male betta and two african dwarf frogs. Although african dwarf frogs arn't fish, they are really fun and cute. :D I hope this gives you some ideas for your new fishy!
Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #4 
mritter

Filter for Betta

I have a 10 gallon tank with 1 male betta and 3 cory catfish. The filter I purchased is the Wispher 10i and it's perfect. My betta can swim around it with no problems the current isn't too strong for him. It sits with suction cups inside the tank. Also, I purchased a screen that is specifically made for tanks, most pet stores should have something like that versus the lid that came/comes with your tank. Also, if you are still researching Betta's and their care, there are some wonderful ebooks that you can purchase on Betta care from the Library on the home page of this site, they helped me out when I first started out with my betta.

Monica
mritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #5 
okiemavis

If you buy a power filter (the kind that hangs on the back) make sure it has an adjustable flow rate so you can slow it down if it's too strong for your betta. Most of the standard lids are meant to fit with a power filter. The Penguin Bio-Wheel is not *just* a bio-wheel, but a filter with a bio-wheel attached to it for extra filtration.

Here's an idea if you're up for it, just a unique betta setup that would be similar to their habitats back home:

-only fill the tank 1/2 way or 2/4 (this is plenty of water/space for 1 betta)
-setup a sponge filter with water pump so the filtered water comes back out down a waterfall you create with rocks. you can make this a very gentle slope with a slow flow (perfect for a betta!)
-set up the rest of the tank with amphibious plants that only like their roots submerged. you can have some very, very cool plants, a mini waterfall and a perfect environment for your betta that would be just like their wild swamps back home.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #6 
MisticAllie314

oooooh neat idea! sounds nifty lol/ I also like the 10i... tetra makes good filters
MisticAllie314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #7 
twoshihpoos

Wow -- thanks so much for the help everyone! What a great idea for a tank set-up!!

I have so much to think about now :)
twoshihpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #8 
okiemavis

Good luck! I'm on a biotope kick right now which is why I recommended what I did...just imagine, a peaceful pool with a gorgeous fish, waterfall lined with orchids and other gorgeous tropical flowers...whee!
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote