Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #1 
Sweetstrwbrry

Where to buy smooth decorations

So I just got my new betta yesterday after Orion passed away :(

Betta was in absolute perfect condition and I look this morning and his back fin has a split in it! OMG... It has to be the rock decoration I have because I have all live plants and I muted the filter with a plastic bottle. He is perfectly healthy! I took the rock out. My other fish like the cories and neons like it. Is there anywhere I can get smooth decorations? I could not find any online.

Will this heal up quick? Here is a picture. I love this. He's flaring at himself :)
Attached Images

Sweetstrwbrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #2 
Kongbetta

You can try on ebay
Kongbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

A clean split like that will usually heal quickly and can also be caused by fin nipping and excessive flaring. Keep the water clean and it may even heal in 24 hours.

My girls get clean splits like those and they usually heal in a day. I wouldn't worry too much. If it doesn't heal within a day just make sure the water is clean and no black edges show up.

Most of the decor I use are silk and live plants and terracotta pots which I fill the hole with aquarium safe silicone. You can also use aquarium safe silicone to cover sharp edges and small holes on decorations you'd rather keep in your tanks. Its cheap and pretty easy to find at home improvement stores like lowes, Home Depot or menards and it will say aquarium safe right on it.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

I have resolved this problem in two ways. For minor sharp edges I sand them. However,many decorations have many rough places. So I take aquarium silicone and paint a few thin layers to smooth places out and if theres any place I think my fish could swim between and get scratched or stuck I fill it in. Take you fingers and feel everywhere even under places for rough spots. The silicone is pretty much invisible in thin layers in the water.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #5 
VJM

That looks like tail biting to me. Not 100% sure, but keep an eye out for him doing it.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote