Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #1 
bunnigirl

My Betta is Puffing at nothing!! Why?

I got my beautiful betta fish, Sashimi, maybe 2 weeks ago, and I notice that when I hold a mirror up to him, he doesn't puff at his reflection, but swims away...but then I'll see him in his tank swimming around and he'll occassionally puff up at nothing! Just now he puffed up when I walked over, which doesn't normally happen. He is usually very interested in his environment, and swims up and moves his fins around whenever anyone comes up and talks to him - he also loves to watch me cook dinner. I think he might be fairly young, he has a little white spot on his underside right before his bottom fin. Anyone know why he's puffing up at no one? Maybe he's catching his reflection in the side of the tank? He seems otherwise healthy and does eat his pellets and bloodworms, and blows bubblenests. I thought bettas only puff up when they are on the defensive, and I certainly don't want him to feel frightened.
bunnigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #2 
Ariel

I think the flaring is fine. It is very natural. But i think the white spot might mean it is a female. If you could post a picture or describe the fins that would be helpful. Females usually dont flare but i have heard of it. She could just be one spunky female.
Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #3 
ErinBBC

Marley does that too! I read somewhere that bettas may do that in order to 'show off' and attract a mate.
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #4 
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
I think the flaring is fine. It is very natural. But i think the white spot might mean it is a female. If you could post a picture or describe the fins that would be helpful. Females usually dont flare but i have heard of it. She could just be one spunky female.
Females flare. My betta flares a lot at my platies, and here own reflection sometimes. They also flare at males when they are ready to breed.

As stated, it sounds like you have a female betta. The white spot sounds like an eggspot, which is only found on females.

And as for your question, flaring is fine. It is showing he, or she, is healthy.
:)
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #5 
bunnigirl

Thanks everyone - I looked up some pics of females, and I think Sashimi is definitely a male...he has long fins that are red and blue, and the white spot is a little further back from his chin - maybe it is just part of his coloring? I am glad to hear the flaring is normal and he isn't scared of anything...I guess he is just spunky! And I like spunky!
bunnigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #6 
okiemavis

Is it a spot that looks like coloration, or more like a raised dot? The latter would indicate it is a female, or a hermaphrodite. The long flowing fins and the white spot would indicate it is a hermaphrodite.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #7 
stephenmontero

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemavis
Is it a spot that looks like coloration, or more like a raised dot? The latter would indicate it is a female, or a hermaphrodite. The long flowing fins and the white spot would indicate it is a hermaphrodite.
can that happen in bettas?
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #8 
okiemavis

Yup! I'm gonna start a new topic on that, rather than go off topic here. But it's more common than you would think.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote